[DeTomaso] Door handle bucket thingies

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 06:56:37 EDT 2016

Hi all

Much fun had by all this weekend. In the end I decided to let sleeping dogs
lie and left the heater valve shut. Somehow I suspect it'll stay shut for
quite some time...

It's really a fantasy of mine to be able to organize a DeTomaso tour in
this part of Spain... I say it's a fantasy because it's simply too far from
the rest of the owners to really make it feasible. Some UK Pantera owners
wussed out on the last Le Mans Classic tour because the Dordogne region was
too far from them, so Spain would be out of the question! But the Rioja
area is absolutely gorgeous, especially in fall with all the leaves
changing color.. well worth the trip if someone is in the area. We had
roughly 20 cars participating in this tour - mainly Porsche, but a real
Shelby GT500 (2012)  came along, several Corvettes, an immaculate NSX..

Anyway, the only issue I had was that someone helped be finish breaking my
door handle bucket thing. Last year in Copenhagen, some scumbag tried to
break into the Panteras parked in the hotel parking and damaged 5 or 6
locks. They were a heartbeat away from starting Tomas Gunnarsson's car...
As a result of their heavy hands, my bucket got damaged (see photo from
last year). During this weekend, someone tried to open the door while it
was locked and the bucket came loose. I suspect that the bolt pulled the
rest of the way through the threads...

In the past, some vendors (PI?) tooled up to make some out of metal, but
they didn't have the right curvature to fit in the hole. My question - who
makes the "good" buckets that look like new and fit well? Thank you!