[DeTomaso] Engines and more

Patrick HALS patrickhals at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 04:46:48 EDT 2016

After racing, enjoying and collecting Panteras for more than12 years, I
have recently rented a little workshop ( my personal playground) where I
can easily store cars and spares, and work on my cars ( a thing I enjoy)
without invading the home garage. My wife is extremely happy !
I am that "smart" kind of guy that can hardly sell used, or partially
damaged items , because they could potentially be re-used or fixed in 20
years or so, by my sons !. Don' t laugh, I know I am NOT the only one like
that :>))
Bringing back all my spares from different places, I have been terrified to
notice that a.o. I have six engines, at different stages of rebuild or
destruction. Three are OK, and need some TLC to be finished
I would like to finish at least those three Clevelands  during the winter.
Knowing the price of spares, the cost of shipping to the EU and adding
custom duties (10% ) and VAT ( 21% ) , I think it would be a wise choice
for me to buy all the "easy " spares  ( water pumps, oilpumps, rollers,
pistons, gaskets, ditributors, MSD ignition systems...) directly through
you, my US fellows and friends. I would group them at one place , and send
them to Belgium all together, instead of ordering them through my local
engine builder. He has been in the business for 35 years, and has rebuilt
"lots" of V8's. Yet, he is not as skilled as a US motorsit who has built
hundreds of those. He of course, doesn't know all the issues with the
spares he buys, simply because he has built 3 V8's in his 35 years of
carreer, ( one Chevy, one 289 and one " for a Mustang".... ) He of course,
cannot be blamed for not knowing if if a Petersen dry sump oil pan is
better than a standard Summit one, or Iskenderian springs will do the job
better than ComCamps... just an example .
Buying is the "easy" parts, my problem is trying to know where to buy
intelligently, and what to buy. Some items may be remanufactured or used
ones, I don't mind,  I've done this in the past in the States
A simple example, I need a dry sump system for a race engine that was
delivered unfinished after one year delay . I need the oil pump, and the
oil pan. Easy for someone who knows, not for me ! Which pump and pan, and
from whom ?
Anyone who would be willing to be my teacher and adviser, and who has the
necessary experience or can collect info locally ? . If I was looking for
an apprentice witch, there are plenty in Europe, thank you :>))
Now, buying the "easy" spares, I know it is not not as easy as going to the
supermarket and buying some ketchup. But I'll do my best to supply detailed
pics, measures, intended target ( race or street)...Be tolerant please :>))
Thank you in advance !
Patrick
Candy 2862
ADA 9628