[DeTomaso] LA Pantera blues

P K Spangler amarathon at gmx.net
Thu Oct 20 14:35:07 EDT 2016

Ok I must admit i am one of those pantera guys who only dreams of having a functioning pantera but the prices are too high now for most people - honestly.
I keep looking at this flooded pantera in LA thinking, its not a bridge to far and if i could go and inspect it i may have bought it. Today its at 25,750 so the next bid has to be 26K, it shows up on two bid sights but is controlled by Copart.

Then there is the logic check, buying a pantera sight unseen is like asking for trouble, its more than a gamble, it is an exercise in hope.
The car looks good though, however mine looked good when i bought it also, with allot of mils of paint.
Wanting a Pantera’s is a true form of lust, its just an annoying itch that doesnt go away.
I can focus on my C6 Z51, or 944S2 or my 911SC or play with my Defenders 90 or 110 or go for a ride in my 2006 Holden Monaro (see what being single for years does for you).
All of which i do my own work on and got great deals on, so it brings me back to this 26K yellow pantera heres what i know:.

1. The area that flooded was all fresh water from what i glean from my obsession research, and it was an upscale area, where people liked to own salt water pools (really).
2. The Louisiana department of motor vehicles has a VIN look up for cars that were in the “zone” so to ensure that people don’t get taken by not having a branded title: this car was obviously in the zone but didn’t come up in the register.
3. Many homes were flooded above the door frames, i don’t see residue in the gauges so assume that it only flooded above the seats
4. There is a Hemmings Motor news add that shows the pantera (by VIN) was listed there and matched to the location it is now, however the add is no longer openable even if you have a digital account with Hemmings.
As another member stated, was this a project that got re-flooded, i don’t know.
If i could look at it i would have bought it, the repair is not beyond me but sight unseen is like dating a call girl, you don’t know what your going to get. With that i guess its time to go do something productive.
Sale ends tomorrow, by the way Coparts for some reason wont let you see the current car price and you have to lay substantial cash down to bid on it at 26K as a retainer.
Time to go think of the Super Carrera.
Cheers
Phil

Auction LocationBaton Rouge, LA show on map
Sale DateFriday, October 21, 2016
Live Auction Starts10:00 AM Pacific Standard Time
Live Auction ItemLane E - Item # 5107
Sale StatusPure Sale
Bid StatusNever Bid
Time Left 22 hours 9 minutes 23 seconds
Current Bid
$25,750 USD

>>> 1. http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/33420976/COPART_1974_PANTERA_PANTERA_CERT_OF_TITLE-SALVAGE_FLOOD_BATON_ROUGE_LA/

   Ok I must admit i am one of those pantera guys who only dreams of
   having a functioning pantera but the prices are too high now for most
   people - honestly.
   I keep looking at this flooded pantera in LA thinking, its not a bridge
   to far and if i could go and inspect it i may have bought it. Today its
   at 25,750 so the next bid has to be 26K, it shows up on two bid sights
   but is controlled by Copart.
   Then there is the logic check, buying a pantera sight unseen is like
   asking for trouble, its more than a gamble, it is an exercise in hope.
   The car looks good though, however mine looked good when i bought it
   also, with allot of mils of paint.
   Wanting a Pantera's is a true form of lust, its just an annoying itch
   that doesnt go away.
   I can focus on my C6 Z51, or 944S2 or my 911SC or play with my
   Defenders 90 or 110 or go for a ride in my 2006 Holden Monaro (see what
   being single for years does for you).
   All of which i do my own work on and got great deals on, so it brings
   me back to this 26K yellow pantera heres what i know:.
   1. The area that flooded was all fresh water from what i glean from my
   obsession research, and it was an upscale area, where people liked to
   own salt water pools (really).
   2. The Louisiana department of motor vehicles has a VIN look up for
   cars that were in the "zone" so to ensure that people don't get taken
   by not having a branded title: this car was obviously in the zone but
   didn't come up in the register.
   3. Many homes were flooded above the door frames, i don't see residue
   in the gauges so assume that it only flooded above the seats
   4. There is a Hemmings Motor news add that shows the pantera (by VIN)
   was listed there and matched to the location it is now, however the add
   is no longer openable even if you have a digital account with Hemmings.
   As another member stated, was this a project that got re-flooded, i
   don't know.
   If i could look at it i would have bought it, the repair is not beyond
   me but sight unseen is like dating a call girl, you don't know what
   your going to get. With that i guess its time to go do something
   productive.
   Sale ends tomorrow, by the way Coparts for some reason wont let you see
   the current car price and you have to lay substantial cash down to bid
   on it at 26K as a retainer.
   Time to go think of the Super Carrera.
   Cheers
   Phil
     * Auction LocationBaton Rouge, LA [1]show on map
     * Sale DateFriday, October 21, 2016

     [2]http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/3