[DeTomaso] NPC: A slow forum day and a dose of Dan Neil

Larry - Ohio Time Larry at OhioTimeCorp.com
Sun Oct 16 20:08:35 EDT 2016

Very nice article Chuck.

Must have been around 1977 I was at Watkins Glen for the "5 Star Weekend".
The main event was the Six Endurance Race. You could buy a roving grand
stand ticket for something like $8. It allowed you to sit in any grand stand
on the track.

I would always see the start of the race by the pits. Spend the next 6 hours
walking around the track to end up back at the start finish line for the
end. It was some what a tradition to jump the fence and run across the track
at the end of the race. I must not have too much "Ginny Cream Ale", they
would fill up my canteen with beer for a buck, that day as I made it to the
winners circle right by the fence. Not only were all 12 Penthouse playmates
there, but also the winners, Hurley Haywood and Peter Greg.

Hurley Haywood opened a very large bottle of "Great Western Champaign", took
a swig and handed it to Peter, who also took a swig, then handed to the guy
right next to me. Yes shortly I too was drinking of the winner's Champaign.

Great cars, great guys!

Larry (great memories) - Cleveland