[DeTomaso] FW: [SDP] Re: 2017 POCA Fun Rally

bill at incendium.com bill at incendium.com
Tue Oct 11 21:43:06 EDT 2016

And it better be full.

CheersBill MooreCalgary
-------- Original message --------From: Mike Drew via DeTomaso <detomaso at server.detomasolist.com> Date: 2016-10-11  6:41 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: asajay at asajay.com, detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] FW: [SDP] Re: 2017 POCA Fun Rally

In a message dated 10/11/16 14 12 31, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> Mike,
> Aren't they retiring the C5?  Seems to me more an more of them are
> stacking up in the mothball yard.
>
> But maybe that makes one available for cheap?
> I know who could fly one.
> Split the fuel costs between 32 owners, how much could that possibly be?
>

>>>There were 131 built in two series (81 in the 1960s and 50 more in the
1980s).   All but one or two of the first-series airplanes were (stupidly)
flown to the boneyard a few years ago, leaving just the later ones (and two
early ones) in service now.

As a broad estimate, they burn about 50,000 lbs of fuel in the first hour
of flight, and 20000 for each subsequent hour, or roughly 8000/3000 gallons.
 I think when maintenance etc. is factored in, the operating cost is in the
region of $80,000 per hour.   TIME magazine did the research in 2013 and
the cost then was $78,000 per hour.

So it had better be a short flight. :>)