[DeTomaso] Alternator blues....

JEFFREY COBB jeffcobb1 at me.com
Mon Oct 3 07:13:41 EDT 2016

Good morning Mike,

High ohm engine ground strap connections will cause spastic and damaging alternator function.

If it charges now then use a hand held load meter;

-1-set idle-hold at 1,500 and note volts + amps at both battery post at no load, now load the meter and note,
-2-Then from batt positive post to closest frame ground, loading and noting again, a six second 100 amp load will smoke out the weak connection,
-3-Then from alternator output post to engine block, repeat above no and load test,
-4-repeat from alt output to frame ground, repeat above no and load test,
-5-now place load meter or test light from engine to frame ground and find voltage or light,

1 and 3 will be closely identical, though 3 slightly less due to wire distance ohm reduction, reference values that you can base the alt function and amp meter realities.
2 and 4 will help you find electrical resistance.
If all above 8 test give pretty much same values within a .3 volt and 5 amp variance then you need to find flaw elsewhere. Sometimes a 10 second 100 amp load test at 3,000 may break your hidden problem, try and see if above 8 don't point to issue.

If it does not charge then use a large battery charger and load both battery post then repeat and charge alt stud and engine ground, you may find resistance.

Also an extra large woven ground strap never hurts!

33 years ago the Baton Rouge Volvo dealer sold me 6 defective alternators in a row for the same customer. I was the largest Volvo repair shop in town and also was paid my said dealer to do warranty work for them as they were overloaded.  The 7th one worked, the owner was scamming his dealership and was putting new-defective-warrantied alternators back in stock so to make more money to finance his hydroplane racing. Of course I was the largest buyer of Volvo parts so I got stung and customer was pissed beyond belief. Year or so later when owner was busted, jailed and dealer closed, his son brought me as a guilt gift a new Volvo cylinder head in crate and other parts so to make amends.
Poo-poo occurs.

Back in March prepping for Amelia, I noticed where my Mangusta had electrical burning marks on the alloy around the large bell housing bolt washer interfaces, WTF???, we found the bolts not to be as tight as they should have been.
So my alternator engine ground was trying and having a difficult time getting back to the true body-battery ground and left burning-jumping marks on the bell housing. Now all is fine and battery cable temps are cooler.
Good luck,
Jeff
Jeff Cobb- I pad
W-225-343-7525