[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 147, Issue 36

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Oct 1 23:52:32 EDT 2016

To: LSJ <lashdeep at yahoo.com>
Cc: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com, JFFR <pantera at vtc.net

 RE Message 1

Message: 1Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:09:07 -0400

From: Will Kooiman <will.kooiman at gmail.com>
To: LSJ <lashdeep at yahoo.com>
Cc: "detomaso at server.detomasolist.com"
	<detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>, JFFR <pantera at vtc.net>
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] 351C Engine Weight Savings

I think someone else already said this,...

Jack did an excellent analysis of weight savings.  It's a lot harder than you would think.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 22, 2016, at 12:56 PM, LSJ <lashdeep at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Will, thank you for the stock block weight.
>
> So there is an approx. 46 lbs reduction for the aluminum block.
> 70 lbs for Al heads?
> 20-30 lbs for Al intake?
>
> Maybe another 30lbs saved with Al water pump, Al timing cover, smaller Al air cleaner, switch to headers, Al valve covers, etc.
>
> Maybe more?
>
> We're getting to 200lbs pretty quickly.
>
> Swap to a Lithium battery (minus 35lbs), one piece race seats (minus 40 lbs),  and back to Magnesium wheels (minus 40lbs) and there is probably a lot more that can be done without really being noticeable (except the seats)?
>
> Is there potentially 300lbs that can be taken out of an otherwise completely stock looking Pantera?
>
> LSJ
>
> central
> wines-spirits   est 1934
>
> 625 e street nw
> washington, dc 20004

   central
   wines-spirits   est 1934
   625 e street nw
   washington, dc 20004
   [1]centralwines.com
   [2]facebook.com/CentralLiquors
   202-737-2800

I don't think you can pull quite 200 lbs out of an iron 351-C. I've spent a good portion of 30 years lightening up our street Pantera L. Although it looks stock on the exterior except for a Revson chin-spoiler, the car in fact now weighs around 2690 lbs ready to drive, and it still has the 351-C block in there along with stereo, heater & A/C. Only the heater is stock. In 1981 when I started this li'il hobby, the car weighed 3250 lbs during a tech session on Longacre scales.

So- a stock displacement 351-C weighs about 575 lbs fully assembled (guesses vary) and its possible to lower that to around 425 lbs. The Auto Industry reckons that removing weight from a design already in in production costs around $100/lb removed. The Aerospace industry estimates far more cost per lb. removed. They are both correct if you count labor/hr as well as parts changed or redesigned.
J DeRyke