[DeTomaso] Harbor Fright Engine Support Bar

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sun Nov 20 22:11:27 EST 2016

All the usual stuff that has to be disconnected still needs to be.  Once I
was ready to pull the ZF, my sequence was:
- Hang the support bar
- Raise the back of the car and place on jack-stand bases just enough to
allow the legs of the cherry picker to clear the suspension
- Place floor jack under the ZF
- Remove the ZF side-mount bolts
- Tilt the engine/ZF with the floor jack under the ZF until the side-mount
arms clear the ears
- Bring the cherry picker into position, hang and tension the come-alongs
- Tension the engine support bar chains at the raised position
- Remove the bell housing bolts
- Remove the floor jack
- Pull the ZF

I've included one of the pics again for reference.  One trick I discovered
the last time I used the come-alongs to pull the ZF with the picker: if you
take them off the cherry picker and set them aside, remembering which was
fore and aft for the pull, you only have to reinstall them that way to lift
the ZF to put it back in the car, and alignment with the engine should still
be near to perfect.

Now off to Byron Sanborn to find out what I've done to third gear (keeps
popping out).

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Mike Thomas
Pres., Panteras Northwest