[DeTomaso] Data for K&N filters

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 19 12:13:38 EST 2016

Charlie,

It is almost an impossible task to find unbiased data, ask any statistician they make a living at it!

Getting more air in the engine = more HP right? So if K&N filters are higher air flow through a coarser mesh then science says there must be a corresponding HP increase!  That said I have yet to find a before and after dyno test with a stock, alternative or K&N filter that proves such, however there are many web comments  attesting that the decal K&N supply is good for 5HP alone.....

So why is there no clear evidence? Well it is probably because a stock air filter is not a restriction to getting air into the engine, car manufacturers simply don't design that way, that is unless you run NASCAR restrictor plate series! If the engine is getting enough air already (and maintaining ideal Air to Fuel Ratio) what difference does providing access to more air (at constant pressure) make? None, you can pick a nice day remove your air filter and go for a test drive and this is the ultimate unrestricted air filter.......

But now you are not 'filtering' anything, so the K&N overcomes this with a light coating of oil on the coarse mesh to theoretically catch dust. Simple physics says there is higher probability that at least a portion of the dust will find a clear path to the intake without being impeded by the mesh or oil. However, as you can attest at least a good portion of dust remains on the outside of the filter! How much the passing dust impacts engine life is the big unknown, but assuming you had enough air getting to the engine with your stock filter anyway you are now just adding contaminants to your air/fuel mixture.

If we also think about the dirt/dust increased inflow in specific relation to a Pantera application we know that the engine bay is a vacuum for road dirt from under the car so with higher dust loading in the air I'd expect even more dirt sees its way into the engine. In addition, comparing a stock filter assembly to aftermarket, in the latter you also typically have an exposed filter element sandwiched between an upper and lower plate with a much greater surface area exposed to that dirt than a stock style snorkel air filter would have.

If you do find your engine is starving for air at higher rpms and you really need more volume then why not just increase the surface area of the stock style air filter? i.e. use a bigger filter. If you really want to increase HP then provide denser air i.e. colder or higher pressure. The moral of the story is throw the K&N filter away and get a blower/intercooler, but wait then you might need a high flow air filter to pass all that extra air...

Personally I just have to drive over to CA and the elevation difference alone will give me 15% more power for the cost of a tank of gas! And yes it is very noticeable from my unbiased and highly tuned seat of the pants, relaying to my Adrenalin meter!

Julian