[DeTomaso] Data for K&N filters

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 10:06:12 EST 2016

After cleaning my filter last week, I got to wondering. Several people on
the list have heard anecdotal evidence that the K&N's aren't such a good
idea. Comments received include:

"My friend's mechanic said to get rid of it."

"If it's properly oiled, it's too restrictive. If it isn't properly oiled,
it doesn't filter properly and lets junk through"

Is anyone aware of a dyno test to indicate if any power is actually gained
by using one? Or lost?

On the K&N webpage they have a guy who drove a million miles in his truck
with a K&N, but are there scientific studies with controls to indicate the
comparative engine wear between filter types?

Maybe it's a byproduct of Facebook during the election campaign, but I don't
believe anything I read without seeing unbiased data. Thanks!