[DeTomaso] Air is good part II

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 14:35:27 EST 2016

Thanks to all who gave suggestions regarding emissions testing.

I went back for a re-test with my recently-cleaned K&N filter re-installed.
It was REALLY dirty, I notice a difference since having cleaned it so I was
optimistic the car would pass.

Interesting experience. I pulled into the test bay, the guy put the sensor
up the tailpipe and it was waaaay higher than my failed test from last week.
The actual test doesn't begin until he hits the "start" button but we can
see the readings. So he pulled the sensor out and told me to rev it to
3000rpm and hold it for 3-4 minutes, which I did. Have I mentioned that I'm
pretty happy with my new radiator? Temps were just fine.

The sensor went back in and the readings were still high - well above the
limit .I shut the car off and asked if I could repeat the test with the air
filter removed to see if that would solve the problem. The guy told me that
if he saw me remove the air filter he'd have to fail me, so his suggestion
was that I drive around the building where he couldn't see me, and what I do
out of his sight is my business. He looked left and looked right, and said,
"let's not waste your time, take the filter off and we'll see how it affects
readings."

Problem - I couldn't remove the nut holding the filter on!! And I had no
tools! I fought, cursed, and it wouldn't budge. Feeling defeated, there was
no choice but the start the engine again and run the test. Starting the
engine and inserting the sensor again, it was magically within limits?? The
only real difference was that I was idling at more or less idle, while
before I held the revs at 1500rpm since emissions are theoretically higher
at idle? So he quick hit the "start" button, and I passed the test before
something changed, and I have my decal (see photo) and am good for another
year!

The attendant couldn't have been more helpful. Not so helpful as to drop the
sensor on the ground during the test, but being reasonable he was very
patient and gave me more chances than perhaps most people get.

I'm a happy camper. Don't ask me about having to get a push-start to leave
the facility because my battery has died? I use a C-tek, but the battery is
about as old as I am I think and may be reaching the end of its life.