[DeTomaso] Today's revelation - air is good

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 12:33:23 EST 2016

Hi all

I removed the air filter today and took a closer look. Let's just say that I
have never, ever owned K&N filter cleaner, and this filter is more than 15
years old. I've oiled it, yes, and I think I remember rinsing it once with a
garden hose many moons ago, but the condition of the filter was more or less
what one would expect if one had never followed the cleaning instructions.
Several mice families will have to find new homes I think!

I took the car for a 20 minute drive with the air filter removed. No, I
wasn't too worried - I had the engine screen in place to protect the carb
(:-p) I came to the conclusion that my poor engine just couldn't breathe
before! There was a noticeable difference in the performance. The last few
times I drove, it acted as though it was taking forever to warm up  - even
after an hour on the highway. It just felt, well, cold and a little rough.
Today it felt looser, freer revving, no stumbles. I could feel a difference.

No idea if that alone will reduce my CO emissions (you are correct, Will,
not CO2) but I'm pretty optimistic.