[DeTomaso] Engine help needed - I've got gas! (or my car does....)

bill at incendium.com bill at incendium.com
Sat Nov 12 13:16:11 EST 2016

If it sits at idle for 45 minutes it will be loaded up with all that CO and other very taxable engine junk. unburnt gasoline, etc.

CheersBill MooreCalgary
-------- Original message --------From: Charles McCall <charlesmccall at gmail.com> Date: 2016-11-12  10:53 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Engine help needed - I've got gas! (or my car
 	does....)
Thank you to all who answered.

I understand that a warm engine will contaminate less. The car was literally
idling for 45 minutes before testing, albeit in 45F ambient temperatures, so
I think it was properly warmed up. Due to the lines and waiting, it would be
difficult to come off the highway and roll right into a test bay, but I can
let it idle for as long as I'd like before entering the bay. The lines tend
to be pretty long where I go anyway...

I understand that higher rpms will reduce contamination, and therefore we
should all drive faster to save the planet! I'll raise the rpm a little for
the test.

I'm reluctant to fiddle with leaning out the idle or playing with the timing
- neither have been touched since previous years so I have to believe that
the current settings can work.

I'm also cautiously optimistic that the air filter is really, really
clogged. I've spent a weekend camping at Le Mans Classic in the dust, driven
down a 2,5 km dirt road a bunch of times in Denmark, etc etc. Tomorrow it's
supposed to be nice so I'll drive around the block with the air cleaner
removed and see if I notice any difference. If it's clogged enough to make
me fail emissions, maybe I'll notice something with the
seat-of-the-pants-o-meter.

Thanks again!