[DeTomaso] Laurie's vision of current topics (be warned ... long and tedious)

Dick Koch redcatman74 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 09:55:49 EDT 2016

Mike, nice to see you stepping up and getting ahead of this, with some good
suggestions on how to improve the raffle.

This is a case in point, where the savings that could be had if the
newsletter did not have to be printed and mailed, part of those savings
could be used to fund some of the more expensive raffle items you
mentioned.

Also, with the elimination of the newsletter printing and mailing expense,
color graphics could be included at no expense to the club, improving that
publication content and readibility.

In addition, rather than thinking of raising the POCA membership fee, the
savings would allow the club to reduce the membership fee, while offering
an overall better product to it's customers, the POCA members..

In my opinion, for what it is worth, the trade off on discontinuing the
printing and mailing of the newsletter versus an improved, more timely, and
more efficient online delivery of the publication is obvious.

The net affect, following the old business marketing axiom of the price
elasticity of demand, would be to set the stage for POCA to attract more
members, with the obvious affect of increasing the membership, thereby
increasing revenue to continue to provide more value add to the membership
as a whole, and spreading the "gospel" of the DeTomaso brand.

One thing I believe is that underneath all the comments made about the
direction the board is taking the club, is that everyone wants to improve
the club,  what it offers it's members, and expand the uniqueness the
DeTomaso brand.

Make no mistake, I have not agreed with certain aspects of the board's
plans, more specifically discontinuing this email forum.  I communicated
that to the board and told them dropping ownership and support for the
forum was a mistake.

As in the case of "market demand" and the generous efforts of some very
dedicated Pantera brethren, the forum was reconstituted. Who knows, maybe
the club will decide in the future it should be included under it's banner.

However, dropping this forum did not sway me from supporting the board's
overall plan to improve the POCA membership experience.

Given the premise that everyone wants their club to improve that
experience, there comes a time to put aside one's personnel preferences,
and to look at "the big picture" and what is in the best interest of the
club and the DeTomaso brand.

As before, peace to all my cat brethren, and a closing thought from Abraham
Lincoln:

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn
bushes have roses."

Dick koch - Atlanta

On May 30, 2016 9:41 PM, "Mike Burnett via DeTomaso" <

-------------- next part --------------
[...]

   improve the club,A  what it offers it's members, and expand the
   uniqueness the DeTomaso brand.

   Make no mistake, I have not agreed with certain aspects of the board's
   plans, more specifically discontinuing this email forum.A  I
[...]

     A  A Good evening ladies and everyone else on the forum, I would
     like to
     A  A express some thoughts about the
     A  A raffle during this past Fun Rally.
     A  A As Vice President of POCA it is my responsibility to do many
     things as
     A  A a Board member, but also be
     A  A the Raffle Master at the Fun Rally.
     A  A In reply to Laurie and Effie's postings, I agree that the
     raffle has
     A  A considerable room for improvement. And even though
     A  A this was my first POCA Raffle, I have been apart of many Car
     Shows and
     A  A other big motor car related events that
     A  A included a raffle, but didn't want to reinvent the proverbial
     wheel by
     A  A changing anything about the way past POCA raffles have been
     run. As it
     A  A turns out, there were quite a few things that could have helped
     make it
     A  A run smoother.
     A  A On the one hand I am proud that through my efforts in dealing
     with our
     A  A vendors and my wife Chrissy
     A  A spending four months hitting crafts fairs and sales ( her
     budget from
     A  A POCA was challenging) and through
     A  A the generosity of our vendors and many others, we were able to
     have
     A  A almost $9,000.00 worth of raffle prizes.
     A  A Unfortunately, if you were there, not many of the prizes were
     bigger
     A  A ticket in value, instead averaging $25.00
     A  A to $40.00 including over 40 T-shirts on top of that. We did
     have a
     A  A good showing of bigger value items in the $200.00 to $530.00
     A  A valuations.
     A  A Even with a strong showing of raffle prizes and with lots of
     help from
     A  A Chrissy, Joe Stockstt ( our POCA Secretary)
     A  A Ed Mendez ( our POCA PR and Advertising lead) and even Michael
     Shortt (
     A  A our POCA President) and myself, the raffle
     A  A went almost an hour and a half in a hot room (no air
     conditioning)
     A  A after a full day, banquet and cocktails.
     A  A In spite of all our efforts to move things along....I'm sure it
     seemed
     A  A like the raffle that would never end!
     A  A So, I will present a new plan for the Fun Rally Raffle to the
     POCA
     A  A Board at our July meeting. It will include
     A  A having a general raffle where tickets will be drawn hourly all
     day
     A  A Saturday with winning numbers posted.
     A  A Proposing to the Board that we use seed money from POCA to
     purchase not
     A  A only some big ticket
     A  A prizes ( TV, Blu-ray player and maybe a trip to harbor freight
     for
     A  A useful tools gauges, etc. that we all could use) but
     A  A maybe some other items of interest like gift cards ( of real
     value) or
     A  A even plane tickets???
     A  A Who knows, it is all on the table and I am asking for all of
     you to
     A  A give me some input with your ideas.
     A  A Thanks,
     A  A Mike Burnett
     A  A VP POCA
     A  A -----Original Message-----
     A  A From: Effie Richards <[2]erichards at zogob.sdcoxmail.com>
     A  A To: laurieferrari [1][3]laurieferrari at aol.com who
     A  A Cc: detomaso <[4]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com>; detomaso
     A  A <[5]detomaso at poca.com>
     A  A Sent: Mon, May 30, 2016 5:21 pm
     A  A Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Laurie's vision of current topics (be
     warned
     A  A ... long and tedious)
     A  A Thank you so much for saying it so eloquently! Laurie's point
     of you is
     A  A well laid out and she is a Pantera owner for years and years
     and a
     A  A member of POCA for the same!
     A  A I would like to agree with her proposed method of awarding the
     prizes
     A  A as well. Other car shows do it the same way by posting winners
     ticket
     A  A numbers and no one falls asleep. My husband ushered me out of
     the room
     A  A halfway through. Although Mike Burnett had a great sense of
     humor while
     A  A presenting the awards, after an hour or so, Robert could no
     longer stay
     A  A awake.
     A  A The food was not good, I agree, but that's not the organizers'
     fault,
     A  A they did the best they could to give all all of us a good time.
     A  A I would like to suggest that we have better organized run
     events next
     A  A year, with maps, a front leader, a middle leader and a tail
     leader for
     A  A those who were not able to make the traffic lights, like we
     offered
     A  A when we hosted in San Diego 2 years ago.
     A  A I think we all learned things from this experience and
     A  A corrections/improvements will be made for next year's rally.
     A  A No matter what, I hope to see mailings of the Profiles since my
     husband
     A  A and others maybe, don't do email.
     A  A Always remaining members of our POCA club, always!
     A  A Sent from Effie's iPad
     A  A > On May 30, 2016, at 2:14 AM, Laurie Ferrari via DeTomaso