[DeTomaso] Sucking power of a Holly electric fuel pump?

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon May 30 16:35:28 EDT 2016

Biggest problem in sucking gas from a Pantera tank is the 21" lift from tank bottom to begin with. Sure- once a flow is established, the natural siphon helps but the initial lift is substantial in all but a full tank. Thats a tall gas tank! Note that all electric pumps both in-tank and external have a fusible link built-in for safety. Exceed the undefined amperage going thru that thin little wire and the fusible link opens resulting in an inoperative, unrepairable pump. Even in an external pump, gas surrounds the field windings etc apparently for cooling.

 I once used a Holley 'Super-pump' I got at a swap meet as an aquarium circulator. It lasted one week, then the fusible link burned up.  I suddenly realized the pumps were not designed for continuous light duty use, either. FWIW- J Deryke