[DeTomaso] Fw: Fw: Jiffy Lube - NPC

Scott Mead Photography scott at scottmeadphotography.com
Tue May 24 00:14:10 EDT 2016

I shudder to think of the number of people who have been scarred, or left the club over the years from slung arrows or miss-information, ether over forums or from the rumor mill. When I read/hear of such things, it strikes a familial chord: My father, Don, joined POCA back in ’75, and was shortly thereafter “drafted” (as a lot of us were for Board positions back in the day) to be the club’s Membership Chairman. As a software designer, he wrote and administered POCA’s first membership software, as well as provided all the mailing labels, reports and printouts to the Board (keep in mind, this was in the days of mainframes, punch cards and massive line printers). After several years, he stepped aside as Membership Chairman, but continued to provide POCA with a free terminal/modem, data processing, reports, labels etc. Even as he migrated from mainframes to minis and micro-computers, he shouldered the cost of converting and housing POCA’s data.

He would probably still be donating his time and supplies to the Club, had it not been for a group of people, and one particular board member, referencing my father, who wrote “Never again shall POCA be held to ransom by a third-party vendor” among other unfortunate writings. What was said cut my father to the core. After years of dedication, volunteering his time and supplies – again at absolutely no charge -- to an organization he adored, he quietly turned all the data over to club (even converting the data to their then-new system), let his POCA membership expire and sold his car for far below market value.

I only recount this event, as it serves as a good reminder that before we click on the “send” key, it would behoove us to read what we wrote, and ask ourselves “would I like to be on the receiving end of this message?” If not, then think twice before clicking the mouse button.

Mahalo,

Scott