[DeTomaso] Gauges fogging up

Himes, Terry (397C) terry.himes at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Mar 28 14:03:32 EDT 2016

Panterians,

While we are on this topic, is there any "easy" way to keep the console gauges from fogging
up?

Terry

Terry W. Himes
JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory
InSight Sequence Team Lead
Rosetta Sequence Team Lead
Phone: (818) 393-6261
Cell:     (818) 653-8213
Fax:     (818) 393-3147
thimes at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:thimes at jpl.nasa.gov>
🇺🇸

From: DeTomaso <detomaso-bounces at poca.com<mailto:detomaso-bounces at poca.com>> on behalf of Mike Drew via DeTomaso <detomaso at poca.com<mailto:detomaso at poca.com>>
Date: Saturday, March 26, 2016 3:40 PM
To: "fredhen at online.no<mailto:fredhen at online.no>" <fredhen at online.no<mailto:fredhen at online.no>>, "detomaso at poca.com<mailto:detomaso at poca.com>" <detomaso at poca.com<mailto:detomaso at poca.com>>
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Heating problem

In a message dated 3/26/16 11 39 40, fredhen at online.no<mailto:fredhen at online.no> writes:

I have taken out what I can to see
down there and I see that there is some antifreeze there on the bottom
under
the tubes. Otherwise it is very difficult to see anything down there. what
do I do now ?

What about the rubber hoses connecting the steel pipes to the heater
core?   Those should be replaced automatically.   Water leaking from the hoses
could run down the pipes and collect in the bottom of the center tub.

I am HOPING your pipes are okay.   Normally they only rust out at the very
back, where they enter the engine compartment.

To test it, I would disconnect the rubber hoses from each end (and throw
away the ones in the cabin, as if the pipes are good, you will want new hoses
there anyway).   Use compressed air introduced at the front end of the
pipes, to blow out any residual gick that might be inside.   Then make sure there
is no water visible outside the pipes, use rubber stoppers to plug the back
ends at the engine bay, and slowly fill the pipes from the front, to see if
they hold water.

If there are no leaks, you're in good shape.   The problem was probably
with the hoses.

If there are leaks, you're in trouble.   It is next to impossible to remove
the old pipes with the engine still in the car.   A friend in England did
it by finding the metal clamps which hold the pipes to the body, and reaching
inside and cutting them away.   This let the pipes slide to the rear, just
a few inches at a time.   He cut them into many small pieces, sliding to the
rear, cutting a short piece out, sliding again, cutting again, until they
were fully removed.

It's not practical to replace these pipes with the engine in the car.
However, I see nothing wrong with using long lengths of rubber heater hose.
At least you will know the hoses are brand new and they should last for many
years; when the time comes to replace them, for sure it will be much easier
than what you just went through to cut out the old pipes!

Hopefully it's not necessary...I would cut out the pipes only after I had
exhausted all other possibilities!