[DeTomaso] CV Joints

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Mon Mar 28 13:50:03 EDT 2016

Finally bit the bullet and repaired the leak on one of my CV joints.
Frustrating - one of the reasons I went with CV joints was to get rid of the
grease that U-joints tend to sling.  So imagine my frustration when I kept
getting bits of grease on the area below my clutch release cylinder.

I had already been through the aggravation of putting the CV joints in and
finding that the outer flanges all leaked.  To quote David Nunn:

"Here are the gaskets that will solve the grease slinging problem
completely:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/93033229700.htm?pn=930-332-297-00-M260
<http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/93033229700.htm?pn=930-332-297-00-M26
0&SVSVSI=1012> &SVSVSI=1012 "

But, the seller had indicated that the inboard seals are a press fit and
would not leak.  OK - three of four didn't leak.  The attached pictures show
why the fourth leaked.  If the guy putting them together had spread just the
least little bit more blue silicone..

NTL, hopefully I've solved this challenge.

No matter what folks who sell you CV joints say, they do need sealed.

Stephen Nelson