[DeTomaso] Rear Window

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Sun Mar 27 11:41:27 EDT 2016

Joe – I’m with you on the concerns about the computer fan’s relevance.  I was pretty pleased with the tie-up we got between the various measurements and methodologies.  Also glad I finally found a use for the neat old anemometer I bought at a garage sale many years ago.

For me, with a car that actually did pretty darned well with the stock, pull air through the condenser setup, knowing that I will get close to 50% more air flow when standing still and 3 or 4 times as much flow at speed – heck, I’m pleased as can be.  Will reverse those leads when I work on CV joints this am.

But back to the reason I started doing all of this.  I did not consider making a pair of wings for the side parts of the engine cover – to reduce air flow that way.  Partly this is because I really like the idea of a rear window – it seems a bit unsafe to have all this beautiful stuff just sitting out where someone can reach in and take off something – like a coolant tank cap or an air cleaner.  Somehow I am sure I will sleep better when we are traveling if I know there is a window keeping folks hands out of the engine compartment.  And heck, when it rains a window will keep things dry.

Back to the original design – knowing the center section of the engine cover’s perforations are about 50% of the open area of the rear window, perhaps that would be enough to keep from getting the bigger bits of stuff and water pulled up from under the car at speed.  But, with the dog-bone and high-rise inlet manifold, it would take quite a bit of effort to make a new center section.

I will be installing the new window and see what impact it has on the temperatures above the engine.  To me, that is the remaining issue.

Stephen Nelson

I know this is your evaluation, but (to me) this testing was needed to prove and quantified future use of the computer fan as a relative anemometer.  It eliminated a concern I had of the computer fan blade design could have been providing a false indication of increase when the direction changed.

Once the condenser fan is changed to blow out (which provides an increase at still and at speed), there could be additional changes to continue to improve the at speed forcing of air out.  (maybe a run with the trunk tub out to verify its usefulness)

BUT, wasn't your original concern the accumulation of road dirt and water on the upper engine, thus the plan to install a deck window.   Besides the window to seal off the deck outlet, did you consider an engine cover that would block off the sides.

Joe