[DeTomaso] NPC - Who's watching Formula 1/online racing perspective

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Fri Mar 25 17:08:16 EDT 2016

Without the excitement of position battles, auto racing can be pretty
boring even for the drivers.  Without spectator support, the whole
thing falls apart so, keeping the race exciting is, perhaps sadly,
even more important than what the teams and rule-makers want. I
haven't followed F1 since the 70's so I don't know the details of
what's happening with it (other than decreased interest), but after
many months of online racing I can tell you this: (PS3 Gran Turismo.
You can race at the games' expert level 24-7.  Don't ask me how much I
do it.  Suffice it to say I'm not married and if I was, it'd be all
over) There is no qualifying.  Each race the starting grid is ordered
at random.
Of course, without fail, there is always some incredibly talented,
bad-ass driver who shows up demonstrating skills far beyond anyone
else's.  Regardless of the car he/she chooses, he proceeds to beat the
pants off of everyone else in the room, race after race.  Sometimes,
if I'm lucky, that guy is me. The result is that the room (an online
"World Circuit") quickly "dies", meaning that the majority of drivers
get frustrated or bored.  They "blink out" to find another room where
they can battle it out with others closer to their skill level and
maybe even have a shot at winning.  After maybe 3 or 4 races with a
bad-ass, there is only he and a few hardy racers who just want to
improve their skills by racing against the clock.  Most of the time I
hang in there and try to keep up with the fucker just to see what I
can learn from him.  But even he blinks out at some point having
become bored with winning. Some races are "Single Car" which requires
everyone to use the exact same car, exact same rubber, no
modifications.  Given that and a random starting grid, that is about
as level a playing field as you can have.  Nevertheless, the bad-ass
always shows up at some point, spanks everybody and "kills" the room.
But that's as good as the game can possibly be. One thing is clear--
the random staring grid sure makes for some bloody spectacular starts
and lots of overtaking and crashes throughout.  This is what keeps
everyone happy and coming back in all the time.  The slower guys get
to knock boots with the faster guys and sometimes a bump or spin-out
will take out a really fast guy for nearly the whole race forcing him
to fight his way back through the pack.  Several of my wins have been
because the dominant racer got too tangled up and could not catch me
before the laps were done. F1 qualifying may be killing itself by
always putting the fastest guy/car on the pole?  Mr. Lightning hops
into Screaming Rocket, clears the first corner ahead of everyone else
and the race is essentially over within seconds, barring any
mechanical failures or driver mistakes. Engineering talent and
innovation exiting the picture by mandating only one kind of car?
Tragic for sure!  But then, same car, same rubber, no qualifying,
random grid, these just might be the only things that could pep things
up, spectator-wise.  How about 2 or 3 races instead of one, the other
races replacing the qualifying days? That is what we do in vintage
motocross--  moto 1 and moto 2.  If you screw up one race by
forgetting to turn on the fuel petcock, or some noob t-bones you on
the inside while overcooking his approach, you still have another shot
with the other moto.  More fun for the racers and more fun for the
spectators, too. Maybe computer technology has refined all the fun out
of F1 and something drastic needs to be done to save the whole thing.
Hopefully they are able to swallow the bitter pill, whatever it may
be, make the painful choices and get on with it. (if anyone seriously
wants to get into PS3 GT or other types of online racing, make sure
you get a good, solid gaming chair and high quality controls or else
you'll just get your ass whooped miserably by the guys who do have
them)
 Sent using Hushmail
On March 25, 2016 at 12:29 PM, "Mikael"  wrote:They constantly try to
reinvent the qualifying system, strange rules,
limited tire choice and in the past no refueling before the race. Why?
try to ensure the fastest cars didn't consistently qualify best, they
want
to randomize the starting grid as much as possible, because that
produces
what most viewers want: overtaking. Just like the many yellow flag
periods
in Indy car and the way the ruling bodies decide tank sizes and weight
penalties on Le Mans cars. All to produce artificially close racing,
good
TV. Fair racing with a level playing field has not been seen in
decades IMO.

Mvh/Regards
Mikael