[DeTomaso] Rear Window

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Thu Mar 24 23:52:11 EDT 2016

My wife helped me run tests on 5332’s a/c condenser fan today.  We did a couple of things – Firstly we mounted a dust collector hood that I use in my wood shop.  The attached picture shows it held in place by blue masking tape.  It was a near perfect fit!  Then we measured air velocity at the hood’s opening with the condenser fan pulling air into the car (normal direction) and pushing air out of the car (backwards).

The outlet was 3 5/8 inches (0.07 square feet) so a bit of a restriction for a 10 inch fan.  The condenser outlet grill is 9 x 16 inches, so right at 1 square foot.  Measured CFM were:

Pulling air into car:           86 cfm

Pushing air out of car:     112 cfm

Ratio out to in:  1.3

Ratio from previous work using computer fan to estimate air flows:  1.45

We then removed the dust collector hood and measured air flows for 30 seconds at each of 9 positions on the condenser discharge grill.  The results of these measurements are in the Condenser Survey picture.

Pulling air into car:           330 cfm

Pushing air out of car:     480 cfm

Ratio out to in:  1.45

It looks like the restriction at the outlet of the dust collector caused a bit of a shift for the overall ratio, but the 9 individual measurements tie up very well with what the small computer fan showed.

It is also informative to see how the airflow is distributed across the condenser.  When pulling air into the car the main flow is in the center.  When pushing air out of the car the flow is more at the edges with the center being the least.  I could argue that the distribution is better with the air being pushed out of the car.  Or it is a wash.

I gave some thought to the concept that a pusher fan is less efficient than a puller - as in 80% of the efficiency of a puller.  I suspect Joseph Byrd has it right – the assumption is that a pusher is mounted right up against the radiator while a puller has a shroud.  At least this makes sense, given the ratio of a 12 inch circle (the flow area for a pusher) vs a 12 inch square (the area of a shroud for a puller) is 0.785.  None the less, our work shows that, if both a pusher and a puller are shrouded, the puller is quite a bit less effective.  To my mind, this relates to the fact that if you throttle a fan on the inlet you decrease the density of the air going to the fan, which reduces the flow considerably.  Flip side, if you have the same resistance on the discharge of a fan you have full density going into the fan and greater output.

None the less, to my mind all of the data, that taken at speed, using a collector and measuring 9 points on the discharge screen, point to a much more effective system with the fan pushing air out of the car.

When Kelly looked at the grid of data for pushing air out of the car she asked if the center point might be wrong.  Given the center hub of the fan is around 4 inches in diameter, and given that the fan cannot blow air at the center, it is not too surprising to find a relatively dead spot in the center.  It is also worth noting that the periphery data points are quite a bit higher – which likely reflects the centrifugal action of the fan when it moves air, resulting in more air at the periphery of the condenser.

Flip side, when the fan is blowing toward the condenser (and out of the car), the pressure drop created by the condenser helps to distribute the air from the fan more evenly across the condenser.

The condenser in 5332 is brand new, bought from Pantera Performance.

For those who haven’t investigated the original plugs that connect the fan motor to the car’s wiring harness – it is possible, with a jewelers screwdriver or the like, to slip the spade connectors out of the plug body.  Then one can simply reverse the positions of the two wires in one side of the plug and you have the motor spinning in the more effective direction.

Stephen Nelson