[DeTomaso] Legendary Motor Cars Pantera

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 20:11:48 EDT 2016

In a message dated 3/21/16 12:54:52 PM, bill at incendium.com writes:

> Yup. Last April here in Alberta that same car sold for $84,000 CDN. A
> couple of files and now it goes for $139,000 US. Fair return.
>

>>>Well, to be fair, that $139K price was the asking price--we don't know
what it actually sold for.

I got to drive and work on that car when it was (briefly) in Fred Phillips'
collection in Calgary last fall.   It has an interesting history--it has
ridiculously low mileage (3485 when I parked it), but it's been repainted.
Apparently it was purchased by somebody who locked it away in a barn figuring
he was going to get rich selling it many years later.   Sadly, critters got
in the rafters and the car got spattered with bird poop which wrecked the
paint, requiring a full repaint in the original color not that long ago.

The car ran and drove fine, although the stock carb was a POS in need of a
rebuild.   In all respects, it was literally like driving a brand new
Pantera.   (The steering wheel center pad had crumbled; I replaced it that same
day with a Hall replacement which seemed to be of good quality).

To be useable, it really needed a carb overhaul, and a battery.   I had a
buyer lined up for it, but Fred would have had to spend time fixing it, and
Peter at LMC made him an offer that was solid enough that he sold it as-is to
him a few months ago.

Was it well-bought for whatever the new owner paid for it from LMC?   Your
guess is as good as mine.   I would suggest that the price premium of low
mileage is at least partially offset by the fact that the car was repainted so
it isn't "original" anymore.

I suspect it will go into somebody else's collection and never be driven,
still...:<(

Mike

P.S.   If the fellow who bought it new, had instead invested that $10K in
even a moderately performing investment, he would have made a LOT more money.
  So he basically wasted 40 years of Pantera ownership for nothing, failing
to get the enjoyment out of driving the car.   Lesson to be learned there
too....