[DeTomaso] Std Lug nut thread? - More to Lugs Than Just the Thread Size

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 19 17:07:40 EDT 2016

 I've also mentioned this in POCA Newsletters over the years, starting back when Mad Dog wanted to use Bassets. Racing wheels and lugnuts use a 45 degree taper while street wheels use a 60 degree taper. The larger angle gives a larger grip area for the race stuff. Mixing and matching street and race parts can often lead to big trouble. Another thing that no one seems to pay attention to is, those pretty acorn lug nuts (logo or not)  sometime will NOT torque down on a stock steel wheel used as a spare. The steel wheel center is far thinner than the Campagnolo  mag wheel centers so the wheel studs can bottom. Another reason to use open-center lug nuts: so you can see how much thread engagement you have. J DeRyke