[DeTomaso] Rear Window

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 12:41:44 EDT 2016

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

   On Mar 18, 2016, at 8:35, "Stephen" <[2]steve at snclocks.com> wrote:
> [...]
   what I
   >A  A could learn about conditions in the engine compartment just
   inches in
   >A  A front of the opening, to the right side of the dog-bone.A  A The
   attached
   >A  A photo shows the instrument cluster shot from inside the car.
   >

   >A  A I'm measuring air velocity through the rear window (vane
   anemometer)

   >A  A Vacuum just in front of the window
   >
   >A  A Rotation of the a/c condenser fan (volt meter connected across
   the
   >A  A motor, which acts as a generator when the fan turns)
   >

   >A  A Two of the above are fairly straight forward.A  The vacuum - not
   so
   >A  A much.
   >

   >A  A When one talks about a vacuum, one is usually talking about a
   vacuum,
   >A  A relative to ambient atmospheric pressure.A  So, if a vacuum gauge
   is
   >A  A hooked up to your intake manifold, it reads the difference in
   pressure
   >A  A between the atmosphere where the gauge is sitting, and the inside
   of
   >A  A your manifold, where the hose from the gauge is connected.
   >

   >A  A So, what does one compare to in a moving car?A  The interior of
   the
   >A  A car?A  That is what one would get if one puts a vacuum gauge in
   the cab
   >A  A and routes the hose to the area in question.A  But, what does the
   >A  A pressure (or vacuum) inside the car do with the car moving down
   the
   >A  A road.A  Open the windows, your ears pop, and the pressure
   changes.A  Most
   >A  A of us don't have an external air inlet (at least an intentional
   one) to
   >A  A the cab except for the windows.
   >

   >A  A My solution is to use a fairly sensitive pressure gauge (a
   >A  A sphygmomanometer - gauge used to read blood pressure.A  It reads
   in
   >A  A inches of mercury.A  FYI, there are roughly 50 inches of mercury
   per
   >A  A psi).A  I have connected the gauge with small-diameter plastic
   tubing to
   >A  A a 200 ml stainless sample bomb.A  I wrapped the bomb in towels
   and
   >A  A placed in a cooler to minimize temperature changes.A  See, the
   pressure
   >A  A in the bomb will change by roughly .03 psi (1.5 mm Hg) for each 1
   >A  A degree F change in temperature.
   >

   >A  A I then pressured up the bomb and let it sit overnight to
   stabilize.A  It
   >A  A ended up at 280 mm.A  This is my "zero" at the then current
   barometric
   >A  A pressure.
   >

   >A  A One has to view the pressure gauge as a delta-pressure device.A
   It
   >A  A shows the difference in pressure between the bomb (high pressure)
   and
   >A  A the atmosphere around the gauge.A  So, if the reading on the
   gauge goes
   >A  A up, the differential is increasing, which means the atmospheric
   >A  A pressure is going down.A  As in a wee bit of a vacuum around the
   gauge.
   >A  A Flip side, if the reading on the gauge goes down, well, there is
   less
   >A  A differential between the 280 mm Hg in the bomb and the atmosphere
   >A  A around the gauge, so the pressure is going up.
   >

   >A  A OK - that is complex.
   >

   >A  A While a gauge that can be read down to around 1 mm hg (0.02 psi)
   is
   >A  A pretty sensitive, I suspect we are talking pretty minimal vacuum
   >A  A levels.A  Preliminary testing suggested a reading of 272 mm Hg at
   80
   >A  A mph.A  The pressure around the gauge went up!
   >

   >A  A Huh.A  A lot to learn here.
   >

   >A  A I also noted that the volt meter did not show any rotation of the
   fan
   >A  A on the a/c condenser.A  Need to make sure the wiring is ok.A
   But, note,
   >A  A the meter reads in mV, and, in my earlier testing, it showed
   voltage if
   >A  A the fan turned at all.
   >

   >A  A The rubber for the new window shows up today, the window next
   >A  A Wednesday.
   >

   >A  A My plan is to get a decent video and stills of the test
   instruments at
   >A  A several speeds.A  Then, when the new window is installed, rerun
   the
   >A  A test.A  I suspect the anemometer will still be valuable, since I
   suspect
   >A  A there will be a lot of turbulence in the air in the engine
   compartment
   >A  A even with the window in place.
   >

   >A  A Needless to say, having the window in place will complicate
   putting the
   >A  A deck-lid back in place.
   >

   >A  A Stephen Nelson

     > <mime-attachment>
     > <Instruments.jpg>
     etc.) use the links above.

   use the links above.

   --
   Michael L. Shortt
   Savannah, Georgia
   [8]michael at michaelshortt.com
   912-232-9390
   privileged.A  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
   notified
   communication is strictly prohibited.A  Please reply to the sender that
   you
   have received this message in error, then delete it.A  Thank you