[DeTomaso] Decklid latch (fifth try...)

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Mar 16 22:39:21 EDT 2016

Ron wrote:

When I got my car back from the painters, I found they had removed the rear
striker plate on the hatch and could not reinstall it. Mine is an early
model deck with no center seam. The metal seems too thin to tap threads into.

>>>You're right--it is.

>When I got the car 6 years ago, the striker was always
     loose, so with considerable effort I slipped the largest nuts I could
     through the access holes and eventually got bolts to thread into them.
     Not a fun time.

     Is the deck supposed to be threaded?
     Are nuts supposed to be inside the deck lid?
     Is there some trick to ease the insanity?

     Inquiring minds and fingers less nimble than 6 years ago need to know.

>>>The flat-decklid cars used a pair of studs coming out at an angle, and a
simple bar with washers welded on the end.   Very crude.   Later cars had
studs sticking straight down, with a similar catch.

http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=18139A

The 73 and later cars used a stamped steel piece that attached in a
different location, although at the moment I can't remember if it used studs/nuts,
or if there were captured nuts welded inside the structure and it was held
by bolts.

http://www.panterapartsusa.com/cgi-bin/detail.cgi?prod_id=18139C

What you can do to adapt a later (and far superior) piece to the early
decklid, is to use a pair of nutserts (otherwise known as Rivnuts, short for
Rivet Nuts).

Installation requires a special tool, which is fun to own.   Once you have
it you'll find all sorts of uses for it.   There's a great Aussie Youtube
video showing the tool and how it works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz2yZNqGNqo

They are sold at Harbor Freight etc.

Once you have your Nutserts installed, you can then securely bolt the catch
to the underside of the decklid.

Note that the catch has a certain amount of latitude by virtue of having
oval slots, but you want to have the holes as close to perfectly located as
possible.   This can be achieved by putting a child or small person into the
engine bay with a flashlight and a scribe, attaching the catch to the latch
on the body, then closing the decklid with the person inside.   The person
inside notes the location of the catch on the decklid, and marks it where the
bolts need to go.   Open the decklid, let them out, drill holes and install
the nutserts and you're good to go.

Sounds like maybe somebody already drilled holes in your decklid, meaning
you can just go ahead and install the nutserts into them.

Let us know how it works out!