[DeTomaso] Pantera Value just went up!

Guido deTomaso guido_detomaso at prodigy.net
Fri Mar 11 22:37:40 EST 2016

Seems nobody took the bait, I'll give it a shot:
Your examples are all front-engine musclecars.  And I infer you don't believe the Countach or testarossa are supercars by your definition.
Trouble I have with musclecars is they usually have millions of lesser cousins plying the roads that drive mostly the same but are only worth 1/10,000th what the Hemi version is worth.  2nd issue I see is, what do you do today with one?  Outside of cruising main and hanging at the drive-thru, not seeing the million dollars worth of fun.
The "potential for performance" trophy sounds too much like the modern "everyone gets a trophy".  I could put it on my mantle next to the trophies for all the races deTomaso would have won if he'd put his mind to it.
>From the article, I don't consider the Esprit or the 308 to be supercars, I'd call them exotic sportscars; the Pantera I've always seen as "budget supercar", and yes if I had the scratch I'd have a Countach, BB, testarossa also.
Or so it seems to me, I could be wrong.
GD