[DeTomaso] Coming POCA Registry

Peter Havlik peterhavlik at me.com
Fri Mar 4 00:38:45 EST 2016

The documentation I have compiled on 9000 series Panteras remains available to POCA unconditionally. I have been doing this work purely as a hobby and to try to repay some of the help and wisdom I have received from others in the De Tomaso community over the years. Consequently, I would be pleased if my work was put to some constructive use to benefit everyone.

I periodically send all my data not only to POCA, but also to the other clubs that have been kind enough to provide their endorsement (which I find helpful when approaching suspicious/paranoid owners). These are PI, UK DTDC and the Svenska De Tomaso Klubben.

The data is a mass of emails, telephone conversation notes, and material pulled from the web. It contains 9000 photographs and 9.58GB of data. As such, it would be a nightmare of biblical proportions to try to sort out the copyright and privacy protection issues alone, not to mention synthesizing it all into standardized entries for each car. Therefore, it is not suitable for wide distribution and certainly not suitable for putting up on a web site.

By the way, I long ago incorporated all the website information from Ben Tyler’s QV500 registry as well as all the Bill Van Ess data into my database, so there should be no worry about the 9000 series information from those sources being lost.

I understand there is a debate about what a proper registry should be, and recognize that what I have done does not qualify. Nonetheless, my “registry" is of use and interest to anyone interested in where 9000 series cars are in the world, who owns them, what their provenance is, and what variations there were in factory equipment. It is, therefore, primarily a resource for historians.

Much or most of the work I have done cannot be duplicated. That is why I periodically send copies of everything to others for safe-keeping. I shudder to think what would happen if Chuck were hit by a bus because his work makes anything I have accomplished seem insignificant by comparison. Regardless of how this debate turns out, it is my hope that arrangements can be made to ensure Chuck's ProvaMo registry data will be preserved as a legacy for our marque.

I would urge POCA and the rest of the international De Tomaso community to work together to provide Chuck with whatever incentive he needs to ensure his work survives him and remains perpetually available.

- Peter Havlik

Message: 5