[DeTomaso] Overheating and fan directional theories

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 23:30:51 EDT 2016

Asa,

I posted a long time ago, that I had a similar problem.

The previous owner had mounted sucker SPAL fans, mounted as pushers and
wired backward.  They rotated in the pusher direction, but they hardly
blew any air at all.  Don¹t people test this?

He also mounted it with curved metal tabs curled around the headlight bar.
 Serious redneck engineering.

I remounted them as suckers, wired them correctly, and attached them
directly to the radiator.  As suckers, they really move air.  As pushers,
they mostly just agitate the air.

I ran that way for years, and finally discovered that my car was
overheating because I had blown a fuse.  I had run for about 5 years in
Houston traffic with no working fans at all - without overheating.  I
pulled it off because my commute was largely 50mph or faster.  It didn¹t
overheat until I got stuck in traffic in 100 deg heat.

Will.

On 6/28/16, 6:34 PM, "DeTomaso on behalf of Asa Jay Laughton"
<detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com on behalf of asajay at asajay.com>