[DeTomaso] Converting Pantera L Bumpers

Mike Reilly reillyms at live.com
Thu Jun 30 11:34:18 EDT 2016

This topic has been covered extensively on this mail list and the PI Forum as well.  PanteraPlace.com also has good info in a tech article.  Anyway, after 25 years of owning my mostly stock 74 L I have decided to remove the L bumpers and fill in the holes from their mounting points both front and rear.  I found a good body shop to match my original factory red paint using a single stage application.  I did all the disassembly so all they have to do is fill in the holes and paint.  It’s still in the shop and in discussions with the shop owner we decided to go with bonding the metal patches (where the old bumper shocks went through the body) rather than welding them in.  He uses this approach with many high end cars in his shop and from what I’ve read on the PI Forum some folks have found the modern bonding materials end up being stronger than the surrounding metal.  He felt welding may warp and damage some of the surrounding metal.  I was good with this approach as this is purely a cosmetic patch and not structural.

As far as bumpers to replace the L bumpers I went with the versions that Bob Byers sells which are the smaller “euro” blades front and rear.  I had to do some filing for the fronts to fit flush against the body and the backs fit just fine as they came from Bob.  I’m happy with their quality (all steel).  I really like the look of the car in this configuration : ).   I get it back from the shop on 13 July and then I’ll reassemble everything.  Yes, I kept every part that came off the car incase some crazy investor type ends up with my car (only if I die!) and wants to put the federalized bumpers back on the car.  I think it does look fine with the L bumper but simply wanted a new look and decided to go with what I see many of the European folks doing with the L cars they buy and bring back to Europe.

I’ll post some pics here and on the PI Forum (and the POCA forum) once it’s done.  I guess I’ll also update my pics on the PROVAMO registry.

If you’re thinking of doing this with your L I’m happy to discuss it further : )

Mike

Sent from Mail for Windows 10