[DeTomaso] New Pantera Person John Bennett

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 23:43:11 EDT 2016

In a message dated 6/27/16 6:53:23 PM, richard at richardgreenblum.com writes:

> Larry is certainly one of the experts, but as I understand it, there were
> several factory produced US GTS's that did not receive "GT" serial
> numbers. Mike Drew probably knows the story and numbers.
>

>>>Not true.   There is some confusion over the number of US-market GTS
Panteras built, because they were built in two categories--49-state cars and
California cars.   98 of the former and 52 of the latter were built, for a
total of 150, all of which had "GT" in the serial number.

It's perhaps true that some enterprising dealers may have chosen to paint
an L-model Pantera as a GTS and fit it with the gee-gaws like the flares,
etc. but I don't know of any specifically.   In any case, such a car wouldn't
be considered a true GTS any more than if the dealer chose to put big wheels
and flares on it and call it a Group 4 race car.

What is true is that the Euro-spec GTS Panteras did not have "GT" in the
serial number, but such cars have numerous differences from their US
counterparts, and in stock configuration are very easy to distinguish.

   In a message dated 6/27/16 6:53:23 PM, richard at richardgreenblum.com