[DeTomaso] NPC-- Again with the threats!

audionut at hushmail.com audionut at hushmail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:16:18 EDT 2016

_The courts found for the musicians_. If only that were true!  (I've
been involved in the music biz, more or less, since I was 13).
Musicians, if they are lucky, get paid for playing music and that's
about it.  If a musician happens to also be a songwriter, then as a
songwriter he/she retains rights to monies earned by the song only if
they retain publishing rights.  Once they sign over publishing rights
to a record label, the song is not "theirs" anymore.  That is how, for
instance, the Beatles catalog can be bought and sold.  Otherwise, the
songwriter only make a royalty sum per unit (album, CD, download)
sold.  If the song is "covered" by another artist/label who wishes to
make money off the song, the label negotiates a licensing deal with
the artist/label covering the song.  The original songwriter makes
nothing off of any subsequent versions of their song without owning
it's publishing rights. In rare instances, lawsuits have been brought
by songwriters who felt that another songwriter substantially
appropriated their song.  Most notably was the case where George
Harrison was sued by the songwriters of the 60's hit "He's So Fine",
claiming that Harrison's "My Sweet Lord", written years later, was
nearly identical.  The jury agreed and Harrison lost the case on the
basis that he had committed "unconscious plagiarism" (they ruled that
he had copied the song without being aware of it).   In their
formative years, hip hop (rap) artists were also sued left and right
because of their use of digital sampling (tiny recorded bits of
published songs) without permission.  Now anybody wishing to "sample"
somebody else's song byte and use it on a song that gets sold has to
get permission first from the publisher which usually involves some
kind of licensing deal. A friend of mine wanted to use a sample of a
guitar part in a famous song by the punk bad "X".  He called Billy
Zoom and asked him first.  Billy told him "If it ends up making money
for you, stop by with a pizza and a case of beer and we'll call it
square."  He used it, but made no money from it.  No pizza, no beer,
no Billy. Generally speaking, copyright law exists to prevent folks
from obtaining monetary gain from the published works of another.  Any
lawsuit claiming copyright infringement is going to have to prove that
copyrighted works were intentionally duplicated and then sold for
personal financial gain. Technically speaking, if I took a copy of
"The Hobbit" and duplicated it a thousand times and handed them out on
the street for free, that would be copyright infringement and a
lawsuit could be brought against me, but it is unlikely that Tolkien's
estate or it's publisher would come after me for damages unless I was
rich enough to milk or I kept doing it after they asked me to stop.
The key issue is money--  taking profit from the works of another
without license or permission. See now how stupid this threat is? The
other thing that "suit-happy" people threaten others with is this:
"Well, maybe the suit has no merit, but I can mess with you anyway.
You will have to pay to defend yourself." This is not true either.
You can ignore the entire thing.  You can avoid a summons almost
indefinitely if you are clever enough.  If you do get served, you can
just fail to show up in court.  True, the other guy wins by default
but then it is up to him to collect any damages awarded.  Of course,
there will not be any damages awarded because there has been no basis
to grant relief.  In other words, no harm has been done upon which
fair compensation would be assessed.   What possible damage to this
guy do we have here?  Emotional distress? _"Your honor, the creation
of this email forum containing archives of things I've said in
conversation has caused me sleepless nights, extended fits of crying
and chronic, painful diarrhea." _  Because there is no basis for
relief, no lawyer in his right mind would take the case.  And that
assumes a court will even decide to hear it, which it will not.  If
whatever people say to each other on the internet constitutes a
"published work", then every time you hit "reply" without deleting
what you are replying to, you are violating copyright law.
Nonsense.
This leaves the plaintiff in the position of having to attempt to file
the suit pro per (on their own), which can be done, but is quite
unusual.  Not to mention a bizarre and fruitless waste of time.  If
anybody is being harmed here, it is Kurt, being the target of
harassment.  A frivolous lawsuit brought against this guy on the basis
of harassment would easily have as much or more merit than this
copyright infringement silliness.  Copyright 2016, Audionut
Productions, Ltd. Reply to this message without deleting my words and
I will sue you!
 Sent using Hushmail
On June 26, 2016 at 12:11 PM, "Pantdino via DeTomaso"  wrote:I am not
a copyright lawyer, but my understanding is that as soon as someone
creates something, that person has the copyright to it.  So if I write
a post describing "how I change the coolant in my Pantera," I have the
copyright to that unless I specifically sign it over to someone else.
This is the issue the musicians of the '60's and '70's clarified when
they said they owned the music they wrote and the record companies
said they did. The courts found for the musicians.
So I don't see how anyone has the copyright to a bunch of various
posts written by individuals as friends.  So unless someone or some
company is the official owner of the list and they have warned
everyone who posts on it that they then hold the copyright to whatever
is written there, the idea of a lawsuit does not make sense.  And who,
exactly, is the owner and how would one assign monetary damages to the
copyright infringement?  If the owner is the Club, the President could
only file a lawsuit in compliance with the Club charter, which I'm
sure does include that.

Jim Oddie