[DeTomaso] Oil Temperatures

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 14:34:38 EDT 2016

FWIW, I ran across an article written by a major oil company some years ago. They had fully instrumented a modified 350 engine on a dyno, and found that the oil IN THE MAIN BEARINGS ran an average of 20F HOTTER than what was shown by pan sensor.s So 275F pan temp may mean nearly 300F in the bearings! This is in the 'char' temp range for regular oil, and even with synthetics, it means the oil is so badly thinned out as to vastly reduce its load carrying capacity. In this test, pan temps were the coolest oil temps found while main bearing temps were highest

10 yrs ago, I installed a water-to-oil tubular Laminova used by Ford for heavy-duty applications. This is NOT the small thing that fits between the block & filter. It can be disassembled for cleaning. It substitutes for 13" of one of the big water tubes under the Pantera floor so oil lines are short and no extra water lines are needed. Ground clearance is not reduced.  The Ford/Laminova has a front and a back- don't plumb it in backward or efficiency suffers. Fluidyne makes a welded rectangular water-to-oil cooler, but it is a little more bulky and is welder into one piece, making cleaning near-impossible if you lose an engine to any cause. Slver State racers found that both coolers will take about 15-18F off your worst-case loaded oil temp. I also added a MOCAL oil thermostat to ensure the cooler does NOT kick in during cool winter temps. The only other thing necessary is AT LEAST dash-8 areoquip oil lines for adequate oil flow; dash-10 is better. Note that ANY plastic parts such as check valves etc in lines, coolers or thermostats will melt at 275F & above. To my knowlege, no one has instrumented an ALUMINUM Fluidyne 10-qt oil pan but I wouldn't expect more than a 5F oil temp drop-if that.
J DeRyke

   [[1]mailto:demongusta at gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:03 AM
   To: Stephen <[2]steve at snclocks.com> Cc:
   [3]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] Oil
   Temperatures Stephan - thanks for more input, but did you mean the
   bearings are cooled with oil? I had an XKE - 64 - it ran a wee bit hot
   - needed an oil cooler. Age - the great equalizer. We fight it, but it
   always wins out - still looking for that watch/clock that runs CCW. But
   then again, Iam glad to have made it this far, unfortunately, a lot
   donat. Jack #4348 > On Jun 22, 2016, at 8:51 AM, Stephen
   <[4]steve at snclocks.com> wrote: > > Good morning Jack. Years ago my dad
[...]
   [[5]mailto:detomaso-bounces at server.detomasolist.com] On Behalf Of Jack
   Donahue > Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:16 AM > To:
   [6]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com > Cc:
   [7]detomaso at server.detomasolist.com > Subject: [DeTomaso] Oil
   Temperatures > > Just wanted to thank everyone for their input on oil
   temperatures. The List and the participants are unique and
   indispensable, in my book. The thoughts and ideas are just great. In my
   case, the first thing I need is an oil temp gauge to see if itas even
   an issue - so logical. I judge from my driving habits (old-man-style
   driving) I may not have to worry about it. But I do. I guess itas a
   aPantera-thinga to drive down the road in areadinessa for the next
   issue, because it WILL be there - Just a matter of time. "Upgrading
   Unlimiteda - I love it. I get so aeducated by The List. Itas like