[DeTomaso] High Torque Mini Starters - Need a Recommendation

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:55:30 EDT 2016

> Many could be retrofitted by drilling and tapping the bosses that were
cast in place but not drilled and taped, but I think the early 2V engines
did not even have the cast bosses but the later 2V engines had the cast
Bosses but not the 4 bolt Caps.

To convert a 2 bolt main 351C block to a 4 bolt main, you want to use 4
bolt main caps and align hone afterward.  The outer boss on 2 bolt main
caps isn't thick enough to drill for the outboard 3/8" bolts.  See the
attached Ford bulletin for details.

> So I know there were running block casting changes.

Yes, there were a number of running casting changes.  The second letter of
a casting number like DOAE-J corresponds to the year of the introduction or
revision.  The suffix letter after the dash indicates the change level of a
part, regardless of whether it is applied to the casting, the finished part
or the service part.

> The Cleveland facility was state of the art at the time, and that is why
the Australian Blocks were cast heavier because the Aussie¹s could not hold
the precision in casting that the Cleveland folks did.

There were several varieties of Australian 351C blocks (blue, black,
pillow, XE).  My Aussie 2 bolt main blue block had no Cleveland Foundry
marks but had a D2AE-CA casting number, the same as one of my 4 bolt main
U.S. blocks and was a thin wall casting with scalloped pan rail just like
the U.S. blocks.  Bare, clean, with main caps and a standard bore, that
block weighed in at 172 lbs on a bathroom scale.  A 0.030" over U.S. block
weighed in at 170 lbs on the same scale.  As I understand it, the U.S.
tooling was shipped to Australia after Ford ceased production in
Cleveland.  Prior to that, the Australians imported their 351Cs.  My 4 bolt
main XE blocks were heavier and cast thicker but not because they couldn't
hold the precision but because they were cast as race blocks.

Two batches of XE192540 race blocks were cast at the Geelong foundry in
Australia.  The first batch of XE blocks were manufactured in 1975 and were
available over the counter, if you knew enough to ask for the right part
number and had the cash.  They were listed under the catalog part number
D1ZZ-6010-T and were quite expensive for the time, about $1500 in 1976.
The blocks were completely machined, except for the cylinder bores which
were semi-finished, being rough-bored at 3.990".  A number of these blocks
were shipped to Holman and Moody and Gapp and Roush.  Holman and Moody used
to list these blocks under the part number D6HM-6010-1.

A second batch was commissioned when Ford (U.S.) decided to get back into
racing in the early 1980's with the formation of the SVO program.  These
were manufactured during 1982 and 1983.  There were quite a few of the
second batch that didn't meet minimum specs with respect to core shift and
other defects.  Some of these blocks were subsequently transferred to the
standard machining production line and were sometimes fitted with two bolt
main bearing caps (depending on when they were discovered to be defective)
for use in a standard production engine in Australia.  The blocks that
passed inspection were originally listed in the U.S. SVO catalog under the
part number M-6015-A3 with a list price of around $900.

I've had one of each batch of blocks.  Both of my blocks carried the
XE192540 part number but I've seen XE182540 part numbers as well. One had a
5M2 date code (December 2, 1975) and a 1975 in a circle and the other had a
"24C2" date code which would indicate it was cast on 24 March, 1982.
Neither had Siamese bores but they did have thicker, non-contoured main
bearing webs, a thicker non-sculpted block skirt (oil pan rail), beefier
high nodular iron four bolt main caps, and thicker cylinder walls.  I
weighed one of my bare XE blocks with caps at 181 lbs.  It was bored to
4.030".  Oddly, there were SK iron blocks that had Siamese bores but
retained the scalloped pan rails and main webs of the standard production
351C blocks.  When I sold Kaase my first XE block (the one he won the 2004
Engine Masters Competition with), he said it wasn't uncommon to have one
cylinder with a thin spot needing a sleeve.  He still had an Siamese bore
SK block but wanted my XE block since the EMC dyno pulls started at 2500
RPM and he was afraid he'd spit his custom Sonny Bryant crank out the
bottom if he rattled the mains on the scalloped main SK block.

Dan Jones