[DeTomaso] High Torque Mini Starters - Need a Recommendation

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 12:20:32 EDT 2016

> That's just weird.  ?!? I wonder what the real difference is there.
>    Any ideas?  Maybe something Dan Jones could speak to?

I don't know of any design differences between early and late (D2AE) blocks
that would account for hot starting.  FWIW, two of my D2AE 4 bolt main
blocks had hard starting when warm.  One was due to tight fitting swap
headers (351C in 1966 Mustang 2+2 fastback) cooking the full size starter.
The other was in my second 1974 Pantera but that was due to the 30+ year
old starter windings.  Both went away with mini starters.

Things that would make starting harder would be poor grounds, tighter
clearances/heavier oil viscosity and higher cranking compression.  Later
short blocks were low compression so would be easier to crank over.

Dan Jones