[DeTomaso] New newsletters in color

John Bennett jbennett111 at zoho.com
Tue Jun 21 03:33:19 EDT 2016

Anyone see this:

Word has it the POCA management had a meeting tonight and voted for an all color newsletter, changed to a different printing service and saved the club over $8000 a year. Plastic membership cards are coming as well.

As a new member I am glad I joined this club, I had been putting it off but glad I did.

Great stuff gives me inspiration to restore my beloved De Tomaso.

John

Called BOD Meeting June 20th

6/21/2016 1:12 AM

I called a BOD Meeting for Monday night June 2oth to wrap up some lingering business left over from the last meeting and to fill the void left by Mike Haney's and Josette D'Orazio's resignations from Profiles editor and POCA Store Manager respectively.  It was a very long meeting with some unexpected surprises.

Items One was the revelation that Jack DeRyke had included a divisive article in the July Newsletter penned by his wife, after a contested debate over the merits of the article, the BOD voted to remove it from the publication.

Item Two was a quick vote to ensure that Associate Members would also be receiving new plastic membership cards, the BOD voted and it also passed.

Item Three was the authorization to order the Detomaso POCA lanyards which were shown here, to be used with the new Plastic membership cards which are also designed to be name tags at meetings, car shows and other special events. This was also passed by the BOD.

Item Four and Item Five were combined into a single vote which was also passed, this sets up the new POCA Store, will will be using a professional fulfillment center to ship our merchandise out, so no volunteers are needed to perform a thankless job. Item Five was the base order of merchandise for the POCA Store, it will be the items all of you asked for in the recent POCA Store survey, so start saving your pennies, the good stuff is on the way.

Item Six was to fund online media campaigns like Facebook to both recruit new members and sell more Detomaso Gear. We ran a test over memorial day weekend and gained 7 new members as a result, so we know it works, now on to a regular schedule to take us up to 900 members and then on past 1,000.

Item Seven was to cover the 2016 Fun Rally Report, we were all brought up to speed on the financial picture, in short, the Fun Rally generated a little over $40,000 in revenue and lost -$1,100, The Fun Rally Raffle generated $5,988 in ticket sales and showed a profit ( in cash, we still owe vendors almost $5,000 in media advertising) of $4,859 which combined with the regular business allowed the club to raise $3,755.  The reason for the lack of a better return was the huge Beverage Bill of $20,205.  It averaged almost $70.00 per person.

Item Eight was to reimburse some associated minor expenses for $280.00.

Item Nine was the most contentious of the evening and resulted in the resignation of Jack DeRyke as the Newsletter Editor.  He was not forced to resign, he quit as the result of his own ultimatum delivered to the BOD several times. In a majority vote, the BOD elected to change printers to save $8,000 per year in printing costs. We have been paying a combined $46,400 to print both the  12 Newsletters and 4 Profiles per year, which exceeds the entire total of our Membership dues of $42,400.  A new printer was found who can deliver both publications in full color, with more pages, on glossy paper, delivered in a weatherproof plastic mailer for $8,000 less per year, a reduced total of $38,400.

Mr. DeRyke was adamant that we continue to lose money while receiving Black and White publications with fewer pages.  After the vote was taken, he responded that we should all "have a nice life" and hung up on the meeting.

While losing Mr. DeRyke as an Editor was unfortunate, it was his decision to quit, the club can not and will not be held hostage by any one member for any reason, especially one so easily decided as not spending more money than we have on hand each year.  The BOD has a fiduciary duty, as do I as your elected President to ensure the financial well being of the club and to make sure that any monies entrusted to us are spent with either an expected ROI ( like the club store) or to serve the membership effectively and efficiently. Overpaying for an inferior product is not in keeping with those responsibilities.

I understand that many people will be sad to see Jack's name not on the masthead of the newsletter for the first time in many years, it was not a decision made by us, so please take  it up with Jack and ask him perhaps why he chose to take the exit that he took while we were doing the job that we were elected to do, watching out for the well being of the club.  Meanwhile, if you are interested in becoming the Newsletter Editor or have a member in mind, please have them reach out to us for immediate consideration.

Lastly, we were pleased to name Laurie Basile as the Interim Profiles Editor and new BOD Member, she will be producing Issue #4 this fall in a whole new format in full color. She is over qualified, and a real car person to boot, read more about her on the Home page.

Michael L. Shortt

Savannah, Georgia

www.michaelshortt.com

michael at michaelshortt.com