[DeTomaso] Oil Leak. Need some suggesions

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Jun 13 15:36:01 EDT 2016

If it does prove to be the front main seal, there are two things to look for. First, a small groove worn in the crank nose from 43 years of rubbing on the seal. There are things called  'seal-savers'- a thin cylinder of steel that slips onto a worn crank nose and Lock-tites in place. They are cheap.

Second, a previous owner may have installed a 351-W front seal. This is identical to the Cleveland seal EXCEPT it does not have a flange that positions the seal properly in a Cleveland. A Cleveland seal installs from the outside. So the Windsor seal in a Cleveland cover simply floats in the factory hole and may move. In a Windsor, the aluminum front cover regulates where the seal goes, but you have to install it from the back. On Windsor engines, I bore out the aluminum cover and use a 351-C seal so it can be installed from the front without teardown. Many Parts Stores will try to tell you the two seals are interchangeable; they are not.
                                                                                                                                                    Good luck- J Deryke