[DeTomaso] Oil Temperatures

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 13:44:37 EDT 2016

I agree with Jim based on observation of the factory oil temp gauge in my
GT5-S. Oil cooling should not be necessary for "normal" use.

What I've seen is that in real life (racing would be something else) is that
oil temp is directly related to sustained rpms. Anything below 4000rpm and
my oil temp is roughly 200F. Increasing cruising rpm directly affects oil
temp - at roughly 4200rpm the oil temp rises to about 240, and 4500 rpm is
starts to get uncomfortably high - 275 or more.  As a result the oil temp
was what defined my sustained cruising speed.

Back before two significant events occurred - Europe got serious about speed
limits and I got married, both of which affected my typical cruising speed
in the Pantera - I investigated options. The conclusions I got out of
reading articles, asking questions on the Forum, and speaking to others:

1) Air to oil can work well, but in a Pantera it is difficult to locate the
radiator where it will get appropriate airflow. Hall's solution of
installing it in the rear wheel well was thought to be wishful thinking.
Installing a radiator up front would cool well but Jack DeRyke warns about
the danger of long oil lines and effect on oil pressure
2) In a Pantera, many people felt that oil to water was the best solution.
Several people mounted a Ford unit - benefits include warming up the oil a
little quicker and the fact that installation is easier in a Pantera. This
is probably the path I would have pursued had I decided to get serious about
limiting oil temp. Current speed enforcement norms have more or less
eliminated that need...