[DeTomaso] Oil Temperatures

DtomasoCat at aol.com DtomasoCat at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 12:07:06 EDT 2016

Need to chime in on this subject....

I have a feeling that most of the Pantera's out there have absolutely  no
need for an oil cooler.  I live in New Mexico and it gets hot.   Just ran the
Pantera yesterday in 95+ degree weather.  My car has a 10  quart baffled
oil pan and I run 10W40 oil (non-synthetic).

I use a Pantera Performance's two pass radiator (Ron Davis  design).  I
RARELY ever see 200 degrees on my oil temperatures.   The only time I ever see
temperatures that high is when I get into slow moving  traffic (city
driving).  Running at highway speeds yesterday my water  temperature was 170
degrees and the oil temperature at about 180-185  degrees.  That is on a 95 degree
day.

I have two cooling fans for the radiator that are both manually controlled
and at highway speeds they are always turned OFF.  The only time I use a
fan (I control each fan with a separate switch) is in stop and go  traffic.
It is quite rare that I run both fans at the same time.

I drive the car hard and can only recall a handful of times that the oil
temperature reached 200 or higher (NEVER at highway speeds or  faster).   I
would highly recommend a 10 quart oil pan for those  wanting to keep the oil
cool and a nicely designed radiator doesn't hurt  either.

Hope this info helps!

Jim