[DeTomaso] Techno Question: How to check U joints integrity?

Larry - Ohio Time Larry at ohiotimecorp.com
Wed Jun 8 09:22:36 EDT 2016

Hi Chuck,

You are correct the U-Joints will usually show wear fore and aft. Generally
you hold / lock one end of the shaft and then move the other end fore and
aft to look for play. I see no reason this could not be done by jacking up
the wheel to do it, but our sense of feel in our hands is important too. If
it feels good at the wheel also check it at the shaft by hand (and eye).

I must say the best way is to have it off the car. A U-Joint can be tight
fore and aft but yet feel "clickie" when mover around from being dry or
rusty.

Larry (never been in the joint) - Cleveland