[DeTomaso] NPC: Dan Neil's latest prose from the WSJ

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Jun 4 09:58:15 EDT 2016

Dear Forum,

           No Pantera content, but as usual with Dan Jones' prose and
passion, there is particular appropriateness for Pantera aficionados.   I
will quote excerpted sections from today's WSJ column on his review of the
Chevy SS.

                     The Chevy SS:  Hello, I Must Be Going

                 ".....So, I brought the right car: the Chevy SS, a
four-door, five0seat muscle sedan, with a 415-hp pushrod V8, six-speed
manual transmission, limited-slip rear diff, and a provocative proclivity
for acceleration that will certainly jerk a knot in it.  All for $48,570.  I
know, sounds interesting, right?  Oh, It is.

                The Chevy SS comes to these pages with-how to put it
delicately?---the reek of death upon it.  The car, a re-badged Holden
Commodore, is destined for extinction because GM is closing the Holden
assembly hall in Elizabeth, South Australia.  Aussies are bummed, obviously.
I feel for them.  If I bought one of these cars I might feel a twinge of
guilt, even as I was laughing my head off.  I have never seen a sedan so
underpriced, relative to its performance and equipment.  Please, old timers,
let's compare notes.  When has a car company ever given it away like this?

               Look at the boxes this thing ticks.  First and most
important: a rare Tremec six-speed manual transmission , with a real
foot-pedal clutch and bolt action-the taut, thrumming gearshift lever
connected to something mechanical-a throwback to a time before mechatronics.
The press materials say a paddle-shifted automatic is also available.  Only
a psychotic would order this car with the automatic transmission.

              The Chevy SS is like an African game reserve filled with
endangered technologies.  Above the gearbox is a naturally aspirated 6.2
liter V8, with an output quoted at 415 hp and 415 lbs-feet of torque.
That's right a naturally aspirated overhead valve V8, none of them tea
kettle turbos and piccolo exhaust notes out of puny V6s.  Responsive,
rev-loving, throaty, twisty and shout-y with big torque and three-octave
range, the Chevy's small block presence is irresistible.  Too bad it's a
dinosaur with an asteroid incoming."

                        Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles