[DeTomaso] Cooling system

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Tue Jul 26 21:31:16 EDT 2016

When I pulled my Hall brass radiator out to get it flushed and replace the
original lines in my '71, two things surprised me.
1. That radiator weighs a ton, and
2. It was really clean inside
The unit was not was not leaking, but I had never pulled it to ascertain
its true health. The shop flushed, pressure tested, added a few weld spots
for Good measure, and told me it was a very solid design. I live in FL
where it is warm to blistering year round. My original fans were shot and I
only seemed to run hot in traffic When I did not have my manual fan on ( as
original wiring allows on '71s).  I bought non polished SS tubes from a
vendor, polished them myself, all new hose and clamps, bought the Pantera
Electronics fan controller, new Spam pushers, and filled it all up with
distilled water, water wetter, and coolant.

Temps are fine. The fan controller works off of one temp sensor on the
radiator and runs the fans at a variable speed depending on the heat. I
highly recommend it.