[DeTomaso] NPC Something is up at POCA

Stephen steve at snclocks.com
Fri Jul 22 10:16:34 EDT 2016

Good day to you Michael.  I can readily remember when I first got 5332 - 3 years ago.  I found there was no single-source that could provide all the tech help I needed.  I also found that the information that was out there was well spread out and not trivial to find.  With time I found the POCA e-mail forum - the predecessor to this forum.  The folks on that forum were extremely helpful in guiding me to the information I needed as I did my resto-mod of our car.

Many of these good folks are on this forum.  I would list them, but would surely miss one of them, so will simply say they are good folks and thank you.

If I had to say what was the most important information source in my efforts to learn - it would have to be this forums predecessor.  Second would be Dennis at Pantera Performance.  Problem is Dennis is not available 24/7.  This forum is.  I also have to say that the Provamo site is super handy when you want to find a picture of something.

The thing that is perhaps the most frustrating about a forum like this is that some folks just don't get the fact that we are not all out for the same thing.  A good example is tracking your car.  If you want to track your car - you need to do certain things (or so I have been told).  Like having really wide tires.  Go for the 245's on the front - though you may lose some turning radius and be doing more 3-point turns, and your car will tramline - but hey, it will corner hard at speed - a big plus on the track.  Or definitely use paint remover (DOT4 preferred) in your hydraulic circuits.

Both of these suggestions can generate hours of amusing reading on any forum.  Because there are trade-offs.  Funny, on the brake fluid thing, given I don't plan to track our car, ever, I wanted to use DOT5 (silicone).  Racers are loathe to accept this.  For me, a no brainer - been 35 since I switched my XKE over - and I haven't had to rebuild the system yet.  On a Jag.

I used the word funny earlier - because one person who agreed, for my purposes, that DOT5 is ok was Dennis at Pantera Performance.

Speaks volumes about Dennis - Yup - he races - has a long history - but he can accept that not everyone wants the same thing he does.  He can put himself in the other persons shoes.  He listens.  Even when he doesn't have time.

Regarding the whole board problem.  The Short has some great ideas and is a hard worker.  But, simply put, I have not found the Short to be amenable to others ideas.  It's his way or the highway.

I wish him happiness in his journey and am damn glad he does not control this forum, given his killing its predecessor.

Stephen Nelson