[DeTomaso] PVGP recap

Kurt Byrnes kdb at kbyrnes.com
Wed Jul 20 01:29:08 EDT 2016

I raced my MG last weekend at the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. It was
quite the eventful weekend.

I met Pantera owner Matt Harkis and his friend Paul who were both
driving Matt's 1965 Wolseley Hornet.  Paul drove in the under 1 litre
class and Matt was driving in the under 1.5 litre class. Their car
overheated significantly during Matt's practice session and when they
brought it back to the paddock, it started spilling the nastiest milky
slime I've ever seen come from a radiator overflow.  The strange thing
was the engine oil looked perfect. After a compression test and a bit of
investigating, we concluded it must be the Setrab oil/water heat
exchanger.  They pulled the Setrab and thoroughly flushed the entire
cooling system.  Their car ran great the rest of the weekend.

During my first full lap of qualifying, my clutch pedal jammed to the
floor and I never got a time so would have to start from the back of the
pack.  A floorboard screw had come loose and fallen into the pedal box.
Due to a Nash Healey loosing most of its oil during the session, several
driver's chose to come in early and didn't set very fast qualifying
times as well.

Although Sunday morning practices are not typically timed for gridding,
a friend and I went out to set fast times in hopes they would use our
Sunday times.  We were pushing hard.  We got separated lapping some
slower traffic and I lost sight of him. Unfortunately, he had total
brake failure at one of the fastest parts of the course and hit a jersey
barrier and rolled.  I came passed him and his car about 5 seconds after
he crashed, his car upside down against the barrier.  Fortunately, he
walked away from the crash but was taken to hospital for scans and
tests.  His car is repairable and he was back at the track a few hours
later. Thank goodness for all the safety gear.

Sunday's final race came and there were now three of us who would be the
front runners and George, who used to dominate the class but has been
slowing down the last few years.  Although I was supposed to be gridded
at the back, they moved me up to third where my friend who crashed was
to be.  As a group, the three of us decided to secretly allow George to
win and try to put on the best show we could.  We traded positions
numerous times and allowed George to work his way past us.  Although I
think he figured out what we were doing, he was grinning from ear to ear
on the podium.

I didn't get over to the DeTomaso display at the Cortille but Matt, Paul
and my son all did.  They said there were about 8 Panteras which is many
more than usual.  If you made it, hope you had a good time.

I posted some footage here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLLaFXaOPmo

Kurt