[DeTomaso] Relay Activated Battery Cut-off switch

Joseph F. Byrd, Jr. byrdjf at embarqmail.com
Sat Jul 16 10:39:08 EDT 2016

I agree, it is not something I would intentionally do.  Given I have "at the
battery" knife switches, It is sort of intuitive to cut the car off, open
the hood and disconnect battery.  However, many decades ago, I did install a
turn switch in the console of the TR6.  I was initially surprised when I
give it a turn and the car continued to run (including all lights etc).

When Ron asked, I thought how are those electrical kill switches wired in
race cars?  Do they kill the ignition or do you assume the engine died in
the wreck and just isolate battery?  Thus there could be two sort of
different objectives with the battery switch.  If you used a single contact
to kill the battery and alternator, the alternator diodes could drain a
battery in storage.
Joe