[DeTomaso] A/C deicing switch sensor

Larry Stock larrys at panteraparts.com
Fri Jul 15 21:16:52 EDT 2016

* Technically speaking a Thermal Bulb is the probably best terminology for
that sensor tube attached to the expansion valve since it is not
electrically controlled at the evaporator valve and in a Pantera That
expansion valve assembly is also your sized orifice metering tube that makes
it cold, but not too cold. This metering valve orifice tube size should be
different between R-12 and R-134 systems for best operation.
*
*
* A thermal bulb has a small line filled with C02 is attached to the
evaporator tailpipe. If the temperature on the tail pipe raises, the gas
will expand and cause pressure against the diaphram. This expansion will
then move the seat away from the orifice, allowing an increased refrigerant
flow. As the tail pipe temperature drops, the pressure in the thermal bulb
also drops, allowing the valve to restrict flow as required by the
evaporator.
* The pressure of the refrigerant entering the evaporator is fed back to the
underside of the diaphragm through the internal equalizing passage.
Expansion of the gas in the thermal bulb must overcome the internal
balancing pressure before the valve will open to increase refrigerant flow.
* Larry @ Pantera Parts Connection