[DeTomaso] Wanted: Used Pantera Grill

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 26 16:05:30 EST 2016

On the contrary.  Nice from close, so nice they're indiscernible from one another unless you overlay the two screens or whip out a micrometer.

As quoted from below...
>     Be aware that the original metric mesh opening is 13 mm and SAE version
>     opening is 12.7 mm and the original metric wire is 2 mm with the SAE
>     version being 2.032 mm.  So for you purists, the mesh is not an exact
>     match, but so close as to not be a noticeable difference.  However, for
>     a formidable price I can get an exact match.

That means the difference between openings is only 2/10ths of a millimeter!  That's the diameter of the original wire.  And the difference in wire diameter of .032mm (1 thousandth of an inch) is a difference which you cannot discern with the naked eye.  Basically, you won't be able to discern the difference looking at two cars (one with original mesh and one with the affordable alternative) next two one another.  You would need to over-lay the two screens or use a micrometer to see the difference.

Again, that's just the reasonably priced option available ($50 or so).  And, as Tom pointed out, you CAN GET AN EXACT match if you wish, but at a formidable price.

The above is just one alternative.  The other option (perhaps the best option) is to check with the various Pantera vendors - they may have complete grill screens or just the material in stock.  I recall that Wilkinson had grill screens for $300 back in 2008 or so, although I never inspected one personally so have no idea if they were/are actual Pantera grill screens or a reasonable facsimile.

I'd also check with Roland Jaeckel in Germany. He's an excellent source for parts and seems to regularly have original parts that we in the US thought were unobtainable.

Cheers!

--- Original Message ---And the bottom line is: IT IS NOT THE SAME ! Nice from far, but far from
nice should be the answer...