[DeTomaso] Wanted: Used Pantera Grill

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Tue Jan 26 03:16:03 EST 2016

Joe, I was at Larry Stock's Pantera shop last Saturday <larrys at panteraparts.com> and he had three used grilles (one black, two chrome). The problem with making your own is, the screen used in the grille is not generally available. Auction flacks wouldn't know the difference but POCA members would!

The later grille held on with screws was a factory fix that allowed Pantera owners with a broken cable to open the front trunk. One releases the latch by taking off the grille and reaching way up inside to pop the latch with a long screwdriver (TSB Bulletin 5 Article 30). Early cars with the grille held in by studs could not do this. Ford later released a short supplementary cable in '73  (TSB Bulletin 9, Article 64) that hung over the accelerator pedal to also allow opening the hood with a broken main cable. The '58 Fords had the same hood & latch design; a friend of mine back East had to chisel an inner fender panel in half to get his hood open when his cable broke!

Cheers- J DeRyke