[DeTomaso] Wanted: Used Pantera Grill

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 25 18:03:37 EST 2016

In a message dated 1/25/16 13 27 51, fred at creekspeak.com writes:

> Need a solid original complete grill for my 1972 pre-L Pantera, serial
> #30XX. My original one had the stainless trim around the border. What is
> the difference between the ones offered "with studs" and "without
> studs"?
>

>>>Hi Fred,

Sadly, I had a grille for sale years ago but have long since sold it.

The early cars secured the grill with studs through holes in the body, and
tiny nuts (8mm? 6mm) on the back side.   When De Tomaso switched to the
one-piece bumper, they simplified construction and the new grille was secured to
the body from the outside using sheetmetal screws.   Both grilles are
interchangeable, but the one-piece bumper hides the unsightly screws better.
The early grilles are susceptible to the attachment nuts rusting to the studs,
so when you try to remove them without first liberally soaking them in
Liquid Wrench or similar, the studs snap off.

Do you not have any grille at all at the moment?   Grilles are rare and
expensive, and almost no existing grille is beyond reasonable salvation unless
it was destroyed in a wreck.

Tell us what you have, and if you have nothing, then hopefully somebody can
help you find what you need!

Good luck!