[DeTomaso] Fwd: Spare Pantera tail lights anyone ?

Larry Finch fresnofinches at aol.com
Mon Jan 18 13:22:17 EST 2016

Ed Mendez posted a link for some used standard version tail lights by a seller in New Zealand.

After viewing the lights, I think some further information is needed.

The listing depicts two sets of tail lights. The seller notes one is Altissimo, the other Carello.

While from ten feet away they look the same, they are quite different.

To the best of my knowledge, all Carello lights were plastic housings with one-piece lenses.

Likewise, all Altissimo housings were metal with two-piece lenses.

Study the photo and note the lens screw positions.

They occupy the same footprint and use the same electrical connectors.

But the lenses will NOT interchange.

The Carello lenses are still fairly plentiful, used and occasionally NOS,  if you know how to find them. And Mr. Fiat offers new Italian-made reproduction Euro versions (amber)  based on the Carello style.

NOTE: The Italian maker, PV, copied the style of Carello, but failed to come close to the detail and crispness of the Carello originals. Also, the amber and red tint to the reproduction lenses is a sprayed-on tint applied to the inside of the lenses. Durability unknown. OEM was a true colored plastic veneer.

However, in my Group 4 tail light adventures, I …seldom... see the Altissimo’s two-piece lenses being offered for sale.

I hope this information is helpful to anyone looking for complete assemblies or just replacement lenses.

Larry