[DeTomaso] Campagnolo Wheels

Michael Shortt michaelsavga at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 16:20:31 EST 2016

none of my wheels are assembled ( fasteners) 3 piece wheels, all are welded
or billet.

I have driven on the wheels on street, on track and on the Tail of the
Dragon and have had zero issues in 12 years with 2 different designs,
not sure who mad ethe current wheels ( 10 spoke ), but they show no signs
of stress, damage either.

It may be my luck, it could be others bad luck, it could be misuse and
driving style.

My Dad owned 3 Audi 5000's, he never had any issues either, maybe because
he never pressed the gas instead of the brake.

Michael Shortt

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
michael at michaelshortt.com
912-232-9390

   none of my wheels are assembled ( fasteners) 3 piece wheels, all are
   welded or billet.
   I have driven on the wheels on street, on track and on the Tail of the
   Dragon and have had zero issues in 12 years with 2 different designs,
   not sure who mad ethe current wheels ( 10 spoke ), but they show no
   signs of stress, damage either.
   It may be my luck, it could be others bad luck, it could be misuse and
   driving style.
   My Dad owned 3 Audi 5000's, he never had any issues either, maybe
   because he never pressed the gas instead of the brake.
   Michael Shortt

     My 17" Hall wheels are a lot heavier than the mags.
     I think that's fine for street, but aren't you concerned about the
     unsprung weight for track use?
     dave
     >>>Interesting.A  This was apparently a reply to an original post by
     Michael Shortt, but that post never came through to me nor did it
     wind up in my spam folder?
     I'm noting some irregularities with the forum these days....anyway,
     thankfully Dave included Michael's original post, so see replies
     below:
     On 1/08/16 9:17 PM, Michael Shortt wrote:
     >A  A A  Greetings,
     >
     >A  A A  After gathering all my wheels in one place and a brief
     inventory today,
     >A  A A  I have 21 Campy wheels,
     >>>Uh...that's a lot. :>)

     >A  A A  5 Single Slots and a mixture of the 4 Double Slots and Zero
     Triple
     >A  A A  Slots ( No 10") Plus 2 sets of 17" Boyd Coddington Wheels
     made for Hall
     >A  A A  Pantera.
     >>>Uh, I don't think Coddington every made wheels for Hall?A  He did
     make them for several other vendors, in several different styles,
     some markedly better than others.A  Can you share some images
     perhaps to help in identification?
     Hall did have somebody cast up ten-spoke Si-looking wheels that were
     welded together, and perhaps Coddington was the source for those?

     >>A  A A  And the 17" 10 spokes on the car now with 335/35 and
     245/40.
     >>>What kind of wheels are those?A  10 spokes is a pretty vague
     descriiption--although I admit I'm pretty certain how many spokes
     they have at least. :>)

     >A  A A  I am keeping the 10 spokes with PZeros for Street use,
     >A  A A  And one set of the 17" Hall Wheels with 315/235 Kumhos for
     Rally and
     >A  A A  Track use.
     >>>Wait--are you talking about Coddington Campagnolo clones, or Hall
     wheels which are three-piece, bolt-together affairs, with a fake
     center spinner?A  Those are as different as chalk and cheese (with
     the latter being the only genuinely suspect/dangerous wheels I've
     ever encountered).

     >A  A A  I will be keeping the Single Slots for Concours with skinny
     Blackwalls
     >A  A A  and a set of Double Slots with Vintage Arrivas for Photos,
     With a spare
     >A  A A  Front and a Spare Rear in case of a boo boo.
     >>>Sounds good!A

     >>A  A A  That leaves 2 full sets of double slot wheels to dispose
     of. Sell or
     >A  A A  Trade. Photos Available.
     >>>Somebody just asked for a set--Guy Dellavecchia?A  What kind are
     they?A  Guy might want to trade his '71 two-slot wheels for some
     L-model wheels?

     >A  A A  I'd love a Triple Slot set. Anybody have some?
     >>>I have only ever seen two of them (separately) in my life.A
     These were an experimental wheel used on the first pushmobile
     prototype.A  I have no idea how many were put into production but
     I've never seen any other car wearing them, so I would have to
     imagine the number is very small indeed.A  Even 1006, the earliest
     known Pantera extant, had single slot wheels.
     So don't hold your breath waiting for a full set of three-slot
     wheels to appear. :>)

     >I will sort them this week by design, Thanks Mike Drew for the
     Campy
     >A  A A  Wheel education.
     >>>It's my pleasure, but at this point I'm far more concerned about
     your aftermarket wheels.A  Simply put, I would never wish
     three-piece Hall wheels on my worst enemy, and especially not for
     track use.A  We collectively know about multiple failures, which
     always led to rapid deflation and a potential accident.A  Jack has
     often told of the car that was zorching down Mt. Charleston in Las
     Vegas at triple digit speeds one year when his Hall wheel dismantled
     himself; I believe it thrust the car into the scenery, but can't
     remember that aspect of the story for sure.A  Jack?
     Larry Stock had a car on the grass at Concorso that he was trying to
     sell; a rear wheel simply blew apart while the car was parked (!)
     and he had to tow it back to Nevada as it couldn't be fixed--it had
     cracked halfway around.A  The other three wheels had similar cracks
     when they were taken apart and inspected.
     And Mad Dog's fire was indirectly caused by the failure of his Hall
     wheel; when the left rear wheel failed, the car fell down onto the
     freeway in Los Angeles.A  What wasn't seen was that during the
     collapse, the brake line was damaged.A  MD swapped his stock wheels

   [3]www.michaelshortt.com
   [4]michael at michaelshortt.com
   912-232-9390
   privileged.A  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
   notified
   communication is strictly prohibited.A  Please reply to the sender that
   you
   have received this message in error, then delete it.A  Thank you